MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Makeing my PC a DNS server.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well,

You have heard all the problems that I have with my ISP over their bad DNS servers. So, I was wondering, could I make my PC a DNS server? I am pissed to death over seeing "firefox cannot find the server (server.com)", and can't switch ISPs. So, can you make your PC a DNS server, and will this fix the problems (like that I can't access my new webhost)?

Regards
~~~~
That wont fix the problem if the DNS info is still coming from your ISP. Maybe it's your browser cache, try this in Command Prompt, may or may not help.

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

and then, try few a hard refresh on your browser.
Well, that made a difference, but not what I needed. Sad  It now cannot find the server at all, new or old.

But thanks anyway. Smile

Edit: ha, I fixed it myself. :p I simpley edited C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and added:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
[b]70.87.170.18    coolestech.com[/b]
Surely an ISP is an "Internet Service Provider" and has nothing to do with your website...they just provide you with a connection to the net. Did you mean your registrar?
No, I mean that they have a lame DNS server. I also get server not found on many pages when searching for sites. P.S. Other people have no problems accessing my site, so it *MUST* be my ISP.
Well I managed to connect to your site 2 nights ago, so it took the average 48 hours. As you said, it is a problem with your connection, but your DNS is working fine.
You can find already set up DNS servers which you can use, things like OpenDNS.
Cool_Guy Wrote:Well,

You have heard all the problems that I have with my ISP over their bad DNS servers.  So, I was wondering, could I make my PC a DNS server?  I am pissed to death over seeing "firefox cannot find the server (server.com)", and can't switch ISPs.  So, can you make your PC a DNS server, and will this fix the problems (like that I can't access my new webhost)?

Regards
~~~~

My ISP has bad DNS servers too... So I use these: http://opendns.com