MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Optimization Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I come to you this forum because I feel comfortable with you all. The active people here are always helpful. So here we go...

I made this site early in my web design career at a local web design firm. I am not looking to change much design-wise. I just really need help optimizing the images. Even provide some feedback on how slow it loaded for you. The images all have to be high quality and large to support different screen resolutions... Right? What can I do to fix this? Any help is appreciated.

Link: http://the-uptown.com

Thanks guys,
-Lane

Edit: Also I'm sure the jQuery weighs it down a tad. If there are any alternatives or ways to improve that aspect, let me know!
First, move any Javascript you can to below the fold, preferably right at the end of your HTML markup. Also, use the async attribute when possible. Consider combining a bunch of your Javascript files into just one larger file. The exception being the main jQuery library. This will mean fewer HTTP Requests so it will be a faster load time.

Look into using Caching for images, CSS, and Javascript. If your host has the Googe Page Speed Mod, use it; it will do the work for you. If it doesn't, you can accomplish this using .htaccess.

Also use gtmetrix.com and it will show you where your site speed can improve.
(2014-06-30, 03:59 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]First, move any Javascript you can to below the fold, preferably right at the end of your HTML markup. Also, use the async attribute when possible. Consider combining a bunch of your Javascript files into just one larger file. The exception being the main jQuery library. This will mean fewer HTTP Requests so it will be a faster load time.

Look into using Caching for images, CSS, and Javascript. If your host has the Googe Page Speed Mod, use it; it will do the work for you. If it doesn't, you can accomplish this using .htaccess.

Much appreciated. I'll definitely take a look at minimizing the javascript and caching the resources.

Thanks man!
-Lane
(2014-06-30, 03:59 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]First, move any Javascript you can to below the fold, preferably right at the end of your HTML markup. Also, use the async attribute when possible. Consider combining a bunch of your Javascript files into just one larger file. The exception being the main jQuery library. This will mean fewer HTTP Requests so it will be a faster load time.

Are there any plans to combine the main JS files of mybb as per the instructions floating about with the "mybb.js"?
Quote:Are there any plans to combine the main JS files of mybb as per the instructions floating about with the "mybb.js"?

I see no active issue on Github for it. I believe the reason being is that it makes it easier to maintain the files. It would make a bigger difference for forums with many users online at the same time rather than small communities.
How about some command line tools like artisan for Laravel for combining these files? That would be cool?
Such as gulp.js?