MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is "core edit"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,
It's a simple question: What is "core edits"?

I want to know if I already did "core edits" or no.
A core edit is when you make an edit to one of the core PHP files used within MyBB, such as global.php. If you don't know if you've done one, you likely haven't. TO check, you can use the changed files in the ACP:

ACP > Tools & Maintenance > File Verification

If any files show as changed, they've been modified.
A core edit is a change to core code rather than a plugin file that adds or takes away functionality, it requires you to make an edit to the code, obviously this is something that likely won't survive upgrades and will need to be made after such events
I found that I edited a lot of images + index.php + jscripts/editor.js + styles/default/main.css + inc/functions_indicators.php

It's OK if I upgrade using today's upgrade?
(2014-06-30, 07:48 PM)YOLOnline Wrote: [ -> ]It's OK if I upgrade using today's upgrade?

You should avoid core edits if you can't maintain it.
Its not okay with today's upgrade as you have to redo all the core edits you have done earlier after you upgrade.
Use the Patches plugin to maintain your core edits. You can then reapply them if they are overwritten by upgrades...
IMO if you are changing images, this is likely a theme thing, and you should be creating a new theme for this.

Is it possible to make the changes you needed within a plugin. There are a lot of plugin entry points that will likely allow you to have the changes you want without having to make core edits and therefore should be maintained through the upgrade
You are changing the files of MyBB, for example functions.php and adding custom stuff into there.