MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A feature request before stable - Subforum Icons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can we please turn this hack into a feature before the stable release?

HF has this, my forums always has this, and I've seen lots of forums using this hack to get custom forum icons. The hack itself sucks because we have to edit templates, rename icons. It's really annoying. My suggestion is to

1. In forum settings, turn on ficons.
  2. Alllow a ficon size to be set.
  3. Allow admin to upload ficons in the subforum settings.
  4. Have two settings for subforums for each forum. "Use custom Icon?" or "Use parent forum icon?".

Since this is the last release before we have to wait a few years for 2.0, please let this be the last unique feature being added. A lot of forums would love this. It sets the list of topics apart from each other and it's less boring then the same "read, closed, or unread" forum icon that is used for each forum.

Please do this.
I don't really think the demand for this would make it worthwhile to hard code it into myBB for 1.8 at least. Not sure if it is something they would ever add to be honest.
This would be better off as a 2.0 feature since 2.0 is supposed to be a re-write.
(2014-07-02, 08:11 AM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]This would be better off as a 2.0 feature since 2.0 is supposed to be a re-write.

No new features for 1.8 anyway but I still do not see a point of this in the actual software even in 2.0
I believe this is better left as a plugin. It can just make things more complicated than they have to be to get started.
this is better as a plugin
(2014-07-02, 08:14 AM)Roach Wrote: [ -> ]No new features for 1.8 anyway but I still do not see a point of this in the actual software even in 2.0

You may not see a point in the use, but you also don't understand my point. MyBB 1.8 isn't about a complete overhaul. It's about updating the experience as MyBB transitions to 2.0. MyBB 2.0 will be a complete re-write. Also, take a look at NodeBB. By default each forum has a different icon. If you want a radical change like what the OP wants, best to suggest it for a version which will get a complete re-write instead of a version that will still be using 1.6 as the base with tweaks and visual updates.

(2014-07-02, 09:40 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]I believe this is better left as a plugin. It can just make things more complicated than they have to be to get started.
Would you mind elaborating? Why do you think this would make things more complicated, especially if the idea can be made for MyBB 2.0 instead of MyBB 1.8?
The feature "Custom Forum Icons" must be added in MyBB 1.8
I am agreed with the suggestion of @ljdevs
Best Regards,
If you actually want to use this you are going to need a new image for each forum. Add on that you'd have to do a check if the forum even has an image so you aren't showing broken images.
Isn't the list what the OP suggests the way the forum would handle new images?
(2014-07-02, 12:39 AM)ljdevs Wrote: [ -> ]...
  1. In forum settings, turn on ficons.
  2. Alllow a ficon size to be set.
  3. Allow admin to upload ficons in the subforum settings.
  4. Have two settings for subforums for each forum. "Use custom Icon?" or "Use parent forum icon?".

All you would have to do is specify a default icon in the core or template if a custom icon was not included (or "ficons" wasn't turned on) in the forum's or subforum's creation. It would be just like error handling.