MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB's backup system issues.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I run LifePunch.net - we were running one of the most popular MyBB forums (as per some thread on Mybb.com). Recently, our hard drive failed.

Our MyBB backups however, weren't good. They all stopped halfway through CREATE TABLE mybb_posts. Some of the posts were there but nothing afterwards, all the tables afterwards are gone. We now will most likely have to wipe and start fresh.

For future reference, what caused this? Was it our enormous amount of posts? Are we better off NOT using the MyBB backup system in the future and backup our own way?

Thanks.
Hi,

First advice: run periodic backups from the server control panel, not the actual software control panel. I guess you understood that now already though.

Now related to the backups issue, it might be possible that the backups are so huge that the process is terminated, either by Apache or by the SQL engine itself. Some logs could probably point towards the answer but I don't think you have any at this moment.
Personally I would feel the best option is to backup via phpmyadmin or some other source that allows exporting of the database! I'm sorrry to hear that the harddrive failed on ya. Wish you luck on getting people back!
Usually server control panels allow for backups of files as well and remotely. So you can have another server in which you store the backups.
On the security side of things, I remove the backup function from the ACP, if i get hacked and its only at the forum layer, I do not want the hackers to have the ability to take the database