MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: poll votes are off
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
the vote counts for this poll are messed up, even after running the recount & rebuild tools in the admin cp.

[attachment=31899]

thread: http://shavenook.com/polls.php?action=sh...ts&pid=204
You can edit the number of votes manually in order to fix them. http://shavenook.com/polls.php?action=editpoll&pid=204
Perhaps someone was editing the poll when a user (or multiple users) voted; causing the number of votes being overwritten with the old number from when the edit page was loaded.
(2014-07-05, 08:25 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]You can edit the number of votes manually in order to fix them. http://shavenook.com/polls.php?action=editpoll&pid=204
Perhaps someone was editing the poll when a user (or multiple users) voted; causing the number of votes being overwritten with the old number from when the edit page was loaded.

the poll is so screwed up that I'm not sure what is valid data.

is there not a way to recount and rebuild polls in the mybb core? if not, there probably should be since polls are a core part of the forum software.
A recount option is not feasible as users can manually edit the number of votes an option has in to poll. Recounting would lose all changes...
(2014-07-05, 08:53 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]A recount option is not feasible as users can manually edit the number of votes an option has in to poll. Recounting would lose all changes...

I suppose that's a good point.

is there any way to find out which data is valid: either the # of votes or the users who voted for which option?

The poll I linked to is so screwed up..
Can't you count the number of usernames listed next to each option and change the number of votes to the sum of the usernames?
(2014-07-06, 09:37 AM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Can't you count the number of usernames listed next to each option and change the number of votes to the sum of the usernames?

because even that seems off to me.

maybe I should restrict users from modifying polls and only allow admins/mods to do it.
(2014-07-05, 08:38 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]the poll is so screwed up that I'm not sure what is valid data.

The list of users who have voted for an option is always* accurate, so you can use that to re-count votes from.

I threw together a quick plugin to recount the votes for a single poll, it seems to work and not be broken, but I've not tested it with multiple-choice votes yet. I'll test it more/tidy it up and submit it to the mods site some time in the near future, but if you want to try it out now, take a look here. It adds a button next to the edit poll option for moderators.

(2014-07-06, 11:09 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]maybe I should restrict users from modifying polls and only allow admins/mods to do it.

Only moderators are able to edit polls (Not even the person who started it can).

* There does exist a race condition in which one person can place two votes on single-choice under specific circumstances, but unless someone is using it intentionally it won't happen.
(2014-07-07, 11:20 AM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-05, 08:38 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]the poll is so screwed up that I'm not sure what is valid data.

The list of users who have voted for an option is always* accurate, so you can use that to re-count votes from.

I threw together a quick plugin to recount the votes for a single poll, it seems to work and not be broken, but I've not tested it with multiple-choice votes yet. I'll test it more/tidy it up and submit it to the mods site some time in the near future, but if you want to try it out now, take a look here. It adds a button next to the edit poll option for moderators.

(2014-07-06, 11:09 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]maybe I should restrict users from modifying polls and only allow admins/mods to do it.

Only moderators are able to edit polls (Not even the person who started it can).

* There does exist a race condition in which one person can place two votes on single-choice under specific circumstances, but unless someone is using it intentionally it won't happen.

the plugin would be neat and possibly useful in core.

that said, it does seem that the username vote count is probably pretty accurate, like you said.

is there any way to totally disable the ability for an admin/mod to modify the poll vote counts to prevent the poll from becoming messed up?