MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I find the CSS I need to change?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I feel bad for coming back so quickly with yet another question.

I want to put some padding around these buttons so they're not smooshed up against the side of the container they live in.

I would also like to change the color of the text in the footer to make sure MyBB gets it's due when people visit my forum.

[Image: frontpage5.jpg]

I have read a truckload of tutorials, followed videos, and learned so much about managing this forum and really enjoyed it.

Though any assistance would be welcome, what I would really like is if someone can 'teach me to fish' so to speak, and give me a sort of pipeline I can follow to identify the elements I need to alter instead of just helping me on a case by case basis.

I've been using the WebTools Inspector that's built into Fire Fox to identify what CSS class some of these elements are in and hunting them down that way. I have also looked through the documentation under Themes and found listings of some of what I want to change. Is there a tried and true method for hunting down what I'm looking for?

As always, thanks for your help!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnWL2d9bGPk

I don't know how Chrome's dev tools differ from Firefox, but basically yes that's the best way to figure out what you want to edit. Learning how to use those to their fullest is one of the best tools you can have.

Oh, and make sure to take note of parent elements of the elements you're targeting. For example, the links in the footer are inside #copyright most likely, so you could do #copyright a { }.