MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Enhanced Admin Approval of Registrations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Due to the size and popularity of my board, I have to use admin approval for registration to help keep the trolls out. With the volume of registrations it can become quite tedious.

1) Send confirmation email after somebody is approved (I use a plugin to do this right now).

2) Show intelligent information about the person attempting to register to see if they are a troll ... including:
- Other users who have posted from the IP address they have used to register
- Whois on their IP to show country of origin and ISP (this should help catch proxies and spammers)

3) Verification of registration by text message. This is the ultimate troll stopper. Google now uses text message to verify GMail accounts and it dramatically reduced abuse. There are tons of providers who do SMS messages and provide an API. Just Google "text message api". Have it track numbers used and allow no more than one registration per cell phone number.
1. Agree
2. Agree
3. Perhaps more suitable as a plugin? It's a fairly niche feature that most boards wont use (due to user unwillingness to provide their mobile number and admin unwillingness to pay for SMS services). Plus due to the wide variety of different APIs available, it would be a difficult thing to keep everybody happy (eg: some might use an API, others including myself would rather just buy an SMS gateway and SIM and own the hardware locally).
(2014-07-07, 09:29 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]3. Perhaps more suitable as a plugin? It's a fairly niche feature that most boards wont use (due to user unwillingness to provide their mobile number and admin unwillingness to pay for SMS services). Plus due to the wide variety of different APIs available, it would be a difficult thing to keep everybody happy (eg: some might use an API, others including myself would rather just buy an SMS gateway and SIM and own the hardware locally).

Yea, there are many ways to skin this cat. It would be nice if MyBB could at least provide some basic hooks for users to implement/extend this functionally on their own. Some reliable feature set that can be depended on release after release to build on top of.
Yes, hooks would be the best way to do it. If we implement the other features they can easily be added at the same time. We'll have to see what the consensus is though.
1. agree
2. agree
3. may good as plugin
1) Is already available in MyBB 1.8.
(2014-07-08, 08:34 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]1) Is already available in MyBB 1.8.

Well, you learn something new every day!