MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: help with windows directory permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I'm setting up mybb for the first time. I'm a faculty member at a university, so I'm installing it to a directory on our departmental web server that I have control over.

I've gotten to the point where I need to "chmod" various files and directories, according to here: http://docs.mybb.com/CHMOD_Files.html

We have a windows server as opposed to a unix server, so I can't actually do chmod. Instead I have to change the permissions of the directories via Properties->Attributes->Read Only (uncheck). However, when I uncheck the read only attribute, it doesn't stay unchecked. That is, when I look at the directory properties again immediately after unchecking it, the read only flag is checked again.

I've talked to our computer guy/web administrator and he's given me full permissions for this directory, so he doesn't know why I wouldn't be able to clear the read only flag.

Can anyone offer help? Much appreciated.
this might help though it is for a different system
(2014-07-08, 06:05 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]this might help though it is for a different system

That sort of helps. What I get from that, is that it goes beyond just unselecting the read only check box, as was stated here http://docs.mybb.com/CHMOD_Files.html; instead I actually have to set the directory permissions to "Full Control" for all users. Does that sound right?

If so, I'm not sure how to do that. As far as I can tell, Windows directory permissions are organized around group names/user names. So, I can give any particular user or group Full Control, but I don't see how to give Full Control to *all users* (the "Others" equivalent in unix).
I am not sure whether this would help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256614

(2014-07-08, 07:15 PM)colton Wrote: [ -> ]If so, I'm not sure how to do that. As far as I can tell, Windows directory permissions are organized around group names/user names. So, I can give any particular user or group Full Control, but I don't see how to give Full Control to *all users* (the "Others" equivalent in unix).

Giving Full Control to "Users" group, which is "yourserver\users" should do it i believe...
Why not setup a ftp client, and then use the ftp chmod feature?
(2014-07-09, 03:24 PM)Ace700 Wrote: [ -> ]Why not setup a ftp client, and then use the ftp chmod feature?

I tried that, but couldn't connect via ftp. I'm guessing there's no ftp server installed.

(2014-07-09, 06:27 AM)mmadhankumar Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure whether this would help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256614

Looked promising, but when I tried the "Workaround" procedure it didn't change anything.

(2014-07-09, 06:27 AM)mmadhankumar Wrote: [ -> ]Giving Full Control to "Users" group, which is "yourserver\users" should do it i believe...

There doesn't appear to be such a group right now. Perhaps I need to get our web admin to create it... is that what you think?

Thanks to all for the continued help.
(2014-07-09, 03:32 PM)colton Wrote: [ -> ]There doesn't appear to be such a group right now. Perhaps I need to get our web admin to create it... is that what you think?
Thanks to all for the continued help.

I believe it's a default group on a Windows server (i might be wrong too, as I have only a very brief experience o f being a network administrator), but the permission to add that group could be disabled to you... and yes the network administrator should be able to add it.
What tool are you using for webhosting? Xamp,WAMP?
(2014-07-09, 04:05 PM)mmadhankumar Wrote: [ -> ]I believe it's a default group on a Windows server (i might be wrong too, as I have only a very brief experience o f being a network administrator), but the permission to add that group could be disabled to you... and yes the network administrator should be able to add it.

Thanks, I'll see if they can add that group.

(2014-07-09, 04:30 PM)Ace700 Wrote: [ -> ]What tool are you using for webhosting? Xamp,WAMP?

Sorry, I don't know what our network people are using for the web server software. I can find out, if you think it would help.
^ if it is parallels plesk panel then this might help =>
Setting File and Directory Access Permissions (Windows Hosting)
Pages: 1 2