MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Warning message if new reply is posted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This feature is really missing in mybb.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post."

There is also a mod for mybb 1.6 but it should be a core feature
Using a plugin is good enough. It would be quite nice but I assume that it takes up several AJAX requests when most of the time there will be no reply. Thus increasing server load unnecessarily.
(2014-07-09, 09:12 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Using a plugin is good enough. It would be quite nice but I assume that it takes up several AJAX requests when most of the time there will be no reply. Thus increasing server load unnecessarily.

Probably would be better if this became a core feature in MyBB 2.0. XenForo actually has this feature and it's not as intensive as you make it out to be.
(2014-07-09, 11:25 PM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-09, 09:12 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Using a plugin is good enough. It would be quite nice but I assume that it takes up several AJAX requests when most of the time there will be no reply. Thus increasing server load unnecessarily.

Probably would be better if this became a core feature in MyBB 2.0. XenForo actually has this feature and it's not as intensive as you make it out to be.

Scaled up with thousands of users, it has the potential to be quite exhaustive...
It would also dam you if your on free hosting (the excessive load may cause your host to disable your account).
phpBB has this feature too - you can enable/disable it in setting.

It should be in core - really annoying to read 2 almost same answers posted together from two different users
Its a good feature yes. But better as a plugin. because the occurrence of this double posts would be rare and hence having it in core would unnecessarily increase the load...
OK, I just hope that there will be a plugin for this in MyBB 1.8.
There is already a plugin that works in 1.6. It would be unlikely that it doesn't work in 1.8 or won't be updated to support 1.8.
(2014-07-10, 07:28 AM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Scaled up with thousands of users, it has the potential to be quite exhaustive...
It would also dam you if your on free hosting (the excessive load may cause your host to disable your account).

If you have thousands of users online on a free host, I doubt they would stick to a free host for long. By that time, they have a cash cow forum and can get paid hosting easily. Hell, my host often has a special where someone can get a free domain and 1 year hosting for a one time $9.99 payment for that entire domain's year. Free hosting doesn't last long if you're raking in thousands of active users. It won't be the AJAX scripts that cause the host to disable your account. It's going to be the thousands of users just visiting and refreshing the page. Besides, there is more than one way to notify a user of new posts. You could catch it when they click "Post Reply" and/or "Preview Post" instead of querying the database every few seconds.
(2014-07-11, 05:03 AM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-10, 07:28 AM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Scaled up with thousands of users, it has the potential to be quite exhaustive...

If you have thousands of users online on a free host, I doubt they would stick to a free host for long. By that time, they have a cash cow forum and can get paid hosting easily. Hell, my host often has a special where someone can get a free domain and 1 year hosting for a one time $9.99 payment for that entire domain's year. Free hosting doesn't last long if you're raking in thousands of active users. It won't be the AJAX scripts that cause the host to disable your account. It's going to be the thousands of users just visiting and refreshing the page. Besides, there is more than one way to notify a user of new posts. You could catch it when they click "Post Reply" and/or "Preview Post" instead of querying the database every few seconds.

what about forums with hundreds of thousands of posts (or millions) and threads with thousands of replies to 1 thread?

as Jordan said, it can become quite exhaustive on server resources.
Pages: 1 2 3