MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Site Speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/Ic12W/ht...y.mybb.com

I ran about 6 tests and that was the average, it got to 7s once and 10s a few times too.

This isn't the first time, a lot of times this site starts performing extremely slow, 8s or more load time, constant cloudflare errors when posting a thread (timeout host end). Whether the infrastructure can't handle all or the requests or whatever other issues there are, it's extremely frustrating and quite slow.
This has been an ongoing issue for a while (and there are several threads about it). MyBB is unfortunately a massive target for spammers and bots that cripple the server. Chris is good at combatting them, but there are always more out there. Unfortunately there's not a great deal more we can do than block them at the firewall.
(2014-07-10, 10:18 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]This has been an ongoing issue for a while (and there are several threads about it). MyBB is unfortunately a massive target for spammers and bots that cripple the server. Chris is good at combatting them, but there are always more out there. Unfortunately there's not a great deal more we can do than block them at the firewall.
yes unfortunately. Why mybb.com didn't use something like Security Question for bots?
We use Cloudflare pro to try and filter the worst of the bots. We don't run any actual MyBB plugins as this board is meant to be as close to stock as possible. Plus, that would be too late for the server load issues.
I can vouch for this issue. What would be a good idea to do is implement custom questions in 1.8.

(Yes I realize this is a request, but just going on with what OP said.)
We have registration security questions in 1.8 anyway I believe Wink
Because we like core options Smile
Well, good thing they're already there in 1.8. You just have to enable the setting and add some questions Big Grin
(2014-07-10, 10:18 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]This has been an ongoing issue for a while (and there are several threads about it). MyBB is unfortunately a massive target for spammers and bots that cripple the server. Chris is good at combatting them, but there are always more out there. Unfortunately there's not a great deal more we can do than block them at the firewall.

I'm not the smartest with websites but spammers shouldn't cripple a server, perhaps increase server-side load but with multiple nodes in a round robin that shouldn't be an issue. CloudFlare Pro has a nice WAF, but isn't good at preventing DDoS attacks or such, the business version ($200/mo) is good at preventing Layer 3 and Layer 7 attacks, that is if some downtime is caused by them. It's extremely frustrating when it's so common.
Is that the sound of a volunteer to pay server costs I hear? Wink The problem is with the extreme load put on the server. We do have CloudFlare Pro to try and take some of the load off.
Pages: 1 2 3 4