MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: create a hook?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How to hook to the function that when you post a reply it shows as a post buy when you try to post a second reply in less than 24h it will update the the first post.
There actually is a built in feature that does this. Under Configuration -> Settings -> Posting -> Post Merge Time.

If you want to write your own hook, I believe you would need to use newreply_do_newreply_start and look at the verify_post_merge() function in datahandlers/post.php
(2014-07-10, 05:10 PM)jshort Wrote: [ -> ]There actually is a built in feature that does this. Under Configuration -> Settings -> Posting -> Post Merge Time.

If you want to write your own hook, I believe you would need to use newreply_do_newreply_start and look at the verify_post_merge() function in datahandlers/post.php

but this option:
Configuration -> Settings -> Posting -> Post Merge Time.
Merge with last post on that thread.

But:
(2014-07-10, 04:35 PM)marcus123 Wrote: [ -> ]it will update the the first post.
My understanding is that "first post" means the first post the user made, not necessarily the first post of the thread.
(2014-07-10, 05:41 PM)jshort Wrote: [ -> ]My understanding is that "first post" means the first post the user made, not necessarily the first post of the thread.

You right. I have a plugin that checks for duplicate post but it doesn't work with this feature. I have it hooked to:

$plugins->add_hook("datahandler_post_validate_post", "xxx");
$plugins->add_hook("datahandler_post_validate_thread", "xxx");
Anyone please?

I use:

if($post->method != "update")

To run the code when it's a new post not an update but how to also check if it's a marge post?
Ok so what you want is to check any previous replies, and merge if it was within x amount of time?

A few pre-questions
- What happens if there is a reply between your last post and this one, should they still be merged?
What are the conditions you are currently using to check for a post? (time is always a pain in the but, because PHP time uses UTC so you need to apply your offsets or use the mybb time functions and constants.

also

only applies if the post is being edited, so when you edit a post that is triggered.

I think it may be worth actually using the following hook

newreply_do_newreply_start

that way before the posthandler is triggered you can hook in

Please allow me to correct you this will not trigger during update != "update"

As I mentioned above my plugin scans threads/replies for some info I can't discuss here, I use:
to check only new content not updated but this marge thing isn't triggered as new post.