MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need to keep registering to forum private
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
New member here... I didn't realize there was a mod forum and this one, but this one seems to be more active.

I'm working on a forum for a client. The thing is, I only want certain people to be able to sign up for the forum. I can't seem to find a plug-in for this.

Since the forum would be linked from a website with traffic, people are going to find it regardless. This is an "Employees Only" forum for a business, so there can only be certain people viewing it.

I've thought of 3 different ways to go about this, but don't know how to do any of them...

-Make forum invite only - Probably the best solution, but I don't know of a solution to make this happen.

-Users can only register if the Referrer matches a certain phrase or something - Another good solution, but don't know to do it.

-Link to the forum from another page, but it would be password protected. This is not an ideal solution, since there would be 2 sets of names and passwords people would have to remember.

If anyone can help me with this, it would be most appreciated. If there are no plug-ins that exist, I would be willing to pay to have one written for me.

Thanks!
Can't you just make a joinable group with permission to view this forum and go through the list of people requesting to join the group every so often?
I think I didn't communicate what I am trying to accomplish well enough.

What I want to keep people from doing is Registering without proper authentication. Whether thats a referrer code, or some sort of form that will only invite users, or something else. Employees would be told in person how or what to do, so any people coming across the forum wouldnt be able to register unless they know what to do.
You can set the approval process to 'administrator approval'.
Where is this option? I haven't come across it. That is definitely a solution though!
[wiki]Admin_CP_Board_Settings#User_Registration_And_Profile_Options[/wiki] - The option should be visible once your there.
Thank you Tikitiki
I want to put this problem back online.
I want a Invitation Forum only. I have the invitation plugin and I can edit the link what send out to register.
Is it possible to switch of the registration button on the login side or edit the member.php that the action is not longer member.php?action=register and is now member.php?action=secret and I send the secret link with the invitaion?