MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: "Load More" Ajax Option for Thread listing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I prefer pagination over the "load more" suggestion.
(2014-09-01, 10:07 PM)SamedTarik Wrote: [ -> ]I think it would be good, but not in ajax, ajax has problems.

How else would you do it?

And what problems does AJAX have?
(2014-09-02, 09:34 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-01, 10:07 PM)SamedTarik Wrote: [ -> ]I think it would be good, but not in ajax, ajax has problems.

Can't you make it with JavaScript? Ajax always conflicts with plugins in 1.6.x versions.
(2014-09-02, 09:59 PM)SamedTarik Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-02, 09:34 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]

Can't you make it with JavaScript? Ajax always conflicts with plugins in 1.6.x versions.

And how exactly are you planning to load the data from the server? Flash? WebSockets?
AJAX is the only real practical method.
(2014-09-02, 10:51 PM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]And how exactly are you planning to load the data from the server? Flash? WebSockets?
I don't know technical details about them. Is ajax really the only method to do this? This is unbelieveable that there is no alternative to ajax.
(2014-09-02, 11:44 PM)SamedTarik Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-02, 10:51 PM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]And how exactly are you planning to load the data from the server? Flash? WebSockets?
I don't know technical details about them. Is ajax really the only method to do this? This is unbelieveable that there is no alternative to ajax.

And you seem to misunderstand something: AJAX is a feature in JavaScript for fetching data from the server.

The only other way to fetch data in JavaScript is with WebSockets, but that's incredibly bleeding edge, it's designed for real-time applications like chat systems, would be tough for the MyBB Team to implement, doesn't work well with proxies, doesn't work well with some ISPs, and generally would be completely overkill for this.

Flash is completely different from JavaScript, but it can interface with JavaScript.
If you want another universal alternative to JavaScript then, you will have to petition the W3C about it.
(2014-09-03, 12:02 AM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]And you seem to misunderstand something: AJAX is a feature in JavaScript for fetching data from the server.

The only other way to fetch data in JavaScript is with WebSockets, but that's incredibly bleeding edge, it's designed for real-time applications like chat systems, would be tough for the MyBB Team to implement, doesn't work well with proxies, doesn't work well with some ISPs, and generally would be completely overkill for this.

Flash is completely different from JavaScript, but it can interface with JavaScript.
If you want another universal alternative to JavaScript then, you will have to petition the W3C about it.

Thanks for information Smile But i don't think i will petition to w3c Toungue
The alternative to AJAX is to upload to your server then your PHP page uploads it to a third-party hosting system. It's clunkier than AJAX, but doesn't require JavaScript.
It could be done with no AJAX at all, just load every single post in a thread and hide them. However, AJAX is the best way to do it, it prevents the initial load of all that information and lets you pull it out as it's needed. I don't see how any alternative to it is needed really, it works fine. Perhaps the AJAX usage you've seen just hasn't been done well?
(2014-09-03, 09:39 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]It could be done with no AJAX at all, just load every single post in a thread and hide them. However, AJAX is the best way to do it, it prevents the initial load of all that information and lets you pull it out as it's needed. I don't see how any alternative to it is needed really, it works fine. Perhaps the AJAX usage you've seen just hasn't been done well?

And what happens.. If there are thousands of items which need to be loaded?
Even a smaller set would be a pain on mobile devices.

And following that logic, you might as well just load everything and just keep it all as visible, instead of going down the "Load More" route.
Pages: 1 2 3