MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Preventing vote brigading/detecting multiple user logins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I am working on a forum and votes/likes are going to play a big role. Its a community driven deals site like Slick Deals, users login and share a deal/discount coupon/sale happening online. You can have a look here to get a gist: http://slickdeals.net

So, when user shares a good deal and others find it useful, they will upvote/like. If not, if deal is not working then downvote/dislike. By each upvote you will get some points and which can be can be converted to money/bitcoin later.

Thumb Rating is one such addon I can make use of. Not sure it shows total upvotes/downvotes a user has received. or may be I can make use of Rep system.

However how do I prevent vote brigading? A user can create multiple logins and upvote his threads.. How do I detect it or prevent it.
(2014-07-22, 02:15 PM)avi Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys, I am working on a forum and votes/likes are going to play a big role. Its a community driven deals site like Slick Deals, users login and share a deal/discount coupon/sale happening online. You can have a look here to get a gist: http://slickdeals.net

So, when user shares a good deal and others find it useful, they will upvote/like. If not, if deal is not working then downvote/dislike. By each upvote you will get some points and which can be can be converted to money/bitcoin later.

Thumb Rating is one such addon I can make use of. Not sure it shows total upvotes/downvotes a user has received. or may be I can make use of Rep system.

However how do I prevent vote brigading? A user can create multiple logins and upvote his threads.. How do I detect it or prevent it.

The question eternal!

How do you really determine that anyway. You are going to have to put in some IP detection, there is a mybb function get_ip() I believe so you could do a comparison.

i.e. It would work something like when a vote is made you check to see if that IP has lodged a vote first, if it fails that, error out, saying a vote with that IP has already been recorded, if you believe this to be an error please contact the admin (and probably fire off a log or email for you to check with the user names involved)
If it passes record the vote and add the IP against the vote.

If the thumbs up voting works, let me know and I will see if I can add the functionality for you when I have time
^thank you very much!

however IP based will not be correct as it may prevent votes from users of same network eg. university network
(2014-07-22, 03:36 PM)avi Wrote: [ -> ]^thank you very much!

however IP based will not be correct as it may prevent votes from users of same network eg. university network

There is no other way to prevent it. You are asking for something that is technically impossible.
There are only really two ways you can do this and none of them are foolproof

You could
1 - Add a cookie upon vote with the post or thread ID and check against that cookie (Could potentially end up adding hundreds of cookies to the users computer which is not cool in my opinion). The user can also delete the cookie, and they will be able to vote

2 - You could add the IP address as previously suggested

Personally the only way you can really legitimately and unintrusively do this is to add the IP restriction.

So you can try as you might to find the perfect way but there actually is no way to completely prevent it.

This topic has been discussed on development forums the internet wide for countless years

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/89625...ble-voting

The cookie would work, but can be deleted as I say, and if I went to a site and found out it was inserting hundreds of cookies through all my activity, there is a good chance I would stop using that service. Google is bad enough at that
(2014-07-22, 03:36 PM)avi Wrote: [ -> ]^thank you very much!

if you are using mybb's limit registration from iP address function you will limit the amount of users to look at.

I have 'registered' many accounts from a corporate network to a mybb installation and 9 times out of 10 the last octet of the IP address is different so it may not be too much of a problem using the IP