MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PHP Mail not sending to Outlook Addresses?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I've had a MyBB Forum setup for a few days now, and I've had several users report that they haven't yet received their activation email after they've signed up to the forum. I checked their emails, and they're all outlook email addresses. I've contacted my host to make sure that they're not restricting any sort of PHP Mail usage, and they've said that they don't whatsoever. Strangely, other users with different email address (yahoo, gmail, etc.) receive their activation emails straight away, whilst outlook users don't at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this?

Thanks for the support.
Is it going into their SPAM?
(2014-07-22, 07:17 PM)Dannymh Wrote: [ -> ]Is it going into their SPAM?

Nope, I've tested it out myself and it doesn't appear in any of the inboxes whatsoever.
Hmm i wonder if it is being rejected based on missing headers?
Can you check your mail logs from your server, these should show the rejected or lost messages

Can you try tracing the emails in cpanel?
If you have SSH access can you try doing a traceroute to outlook.com to see if there is a clear route to the server?

I would suggest that if the mails reach gmail and other servers there is a relay or routing problem
(2014-07-22, 07:16 PM)Anonomoose Wrote: [ -> ]I've contacted my host to make sure that they're not restricting any sort of PHP Mail usage, and they've said that they don't whatsoever.

Did you ask specifically about Outlook mail? Maybe there is a server-wide issue.

I assume that you are not using SMTP, is that correct?

Have you tried to set up an email account in your hosting control panel bearing same address as the one specified in MyBB settings (sender)?

You can also try to contact the Outlook support as they might help solve the issue.
(2014-07-22, 07:32 PM)Dannymh Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm i wonder if it is being rejected based on missing headers?
Can you check your mail logs from your server, these should show the rejected or lost messages

Can you try tracing the emails in cpanel?
If you have SSH access can you try doing a traceroute to outlook.com to see if there is a clear route to the server?

I would suggest that if the mails reach gmail and other servers there is a relay or routing problem

There isn't any mail logs or errors at all, and there is an SSH Access in cPanel, but I'm not sure if this the right thing..?
http://gyazo.com/dadac892b3381dc8a22beb7f81c8cbc1.png

(2014-07-22, 07:35 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-22, 07:16 PM)Anonomoose Wrote: [ -> ]I've contacted my host to make sure that they're not restricting any sort of PHP Mail usage, and they've said that they don't whatsoever.

Did you ask specifically about Outlook mail? Maybe there is a server-wide issue.

I assume that you are not using SMTP, is that correct?

Have you tried to set up an email account in your hosting control panel bearing same address as the one specified in MyBB settings (sender)?

You can also try to contact the Outlook support as they might help solve the issue.

I did mention outlook in the conversation with the host, and I was told that it wasn't limited, and no I'm not using SMTP. I'll try doing both of those last things, thanks.
Check your SMTP logs - you need to start there to confirm your messages are being sent.

My guess is that your email is not being accepted by Microsoft at all. You'll probably see something like SMTP error code 550 "Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons" or something like that.

Are you using your own email domain? Are you using your host's SMTP server?