MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Close
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
please close this thread, thank you. 
just my two cents =>
I hope someone can provide required guidance for free or at the offered price. unfortunately VPS
hosting not only costs a lot, it also requires a good amount of time and efforts to setup & maintain !

see also this and this for some useful links
purchase a managed VPS. They will help you all the way.
(2014-07-24, 05:31 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]purchase a managed VPS. They will help you all the way.

+1.
+1 to managed VPS if you don't already have experience. Will make things a lot simpler.
or just get *decent* shared hosting, really, it's sufficient for most forums and more affordable than managed anything
Paying $20 to those who can help me over team viewer, i dont want a managed server i want to learn.. im willing to pay.
Why are you purchasing a VPS if you have no clue how to run it? Just stick with shared hosting...
(2014-07-24, 02:48 PM)TheUnknown Wrote: [ -> ]Paying $20 to those who can help me over team viewer, i dont want a managed server i want to learn.. im willing to pay.

Honestly? Go to the ubuntu IRC or whatever IRC and communities of the specific thing you are having issues with.

Like if you are having problems with Ubuntu server, ask them. They are super friendly and helpful and will always help you if you can.
(2014-07-24, 02:48 PM)TheUnknown Wrote: [ -> ]i dont want a managed server i want to learn..

A managed server gives you a bit of both worlds, it is easy to get things set up and running, but you can also jump in and start tinkering with things and if something breaks then it is (sometimes) pretty easy to fix.

I'm not sure how much experience you have with Linux, but I'll throw in my 2c:

If you want to start learning I suggest you set up copy of Ubuntu Server (I suggest version 12.04 at the moment) in a local virtual machine. Play around with that, set up a SSH server so you can connect with PuTTY (Much nicer than typing into the virtual machine window), learn the basic terminal commands and how to edit files, learn to secure it - set up a firewall, update everything.

Once you understand that, try and get a web server running. Apache+PHP is the more traditional server set up (I'd recommend it as a starting place), nginx+php-fpm is coming more common nowadays so maybe even play around with that.

Digital Ocean and Linode both have wonderful collections of tutorials and documentation to help people get started with using VPSes, so check them both out. If you run into problems there is a 95% chance someone else has too, so just to a Google search for the error and, as Lo said, many open-source projects will have IRC channels for support so you can always drop by them and ask for help too.

Finally, if you really just want someone to set it up for you, send me a PM, I'd he happy to, but you'll be mostly on your own for keeping things up-to-date (But if something completely breaks I'll be happy to help fix it too).
Pages: 1 2