MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Permission management - unable to access private sub-forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I did perform quite an extensive search and tried various options, but I'm not able to figure out how to fix the following problem.

In the forum I'm managing I want to have some private sub-forums, and I want to manage the relative permissions in the following way.
As an example, I have a "Privileged" user group and a "Standard" user group.
"Category A" and "Category A"/"Sub-forum A" should be seen only by privileged users, but the sub-forum "Category A"/"Sub-forum B" should be seen by "Standard" users as well. The problem is that, if I apply these permissions, the "Standard" users can't see the "Sub-forum B" as they don't have access to "Category A". I'd like them to be able to access the forum from the Forum homepage, which shouldn't be an issue (they just see the path to their sub-forum).
How can I implement this?

I'm aware I could solve this by opening "Category A" to everyone and then restricting access to "Sub-forum A" only to "Privileged", but to my understanding this approach isn't really safe. This because, if I open a new "Sub-forum C", this would by default be visible to all "Standard" users, while in my case I'd like to restrict access by default and allow it only in some specific cases.

I hope I made myself clear and I thank you in advance for your hints.
Hi,

Has anyone any hint on this topic?

Thanks in advance!
(2014-07-25, 09:28 AM)stefanomoret Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I did perform quite an extensive search and tried various options, but I'm not able to figure out how to fix the following problem.

In the forum I'm managing I want to have some private sub-forums, and I want to manage the relative permissions in the following way.
As an example, I have a "Privileged" user group and a "Standard" user group.
"Category A" and "Category A"/"Sub-forum A" should be seen only by privileged users, but the sub-forum "Category A"/"Sub-forum B" should be seen by "Standard" users as well. The problem is that, if I apply these permissions, the "Standard" users can't see the "Sub-forum B" as they don't have access to "Category A". I'd like them to be able to access the forum from the Forum homepage, which shouldn't be an issue (they just see the path to their sub-forum).

I'm aware I could solve this by opening "Category A" to everyone and then restricting access to "Sub-forum A" only to "Privileged", but to my understanding this approach isn't really safe. This because, if I open a new "Sub-forum C", this would by default be visible to all "Standard" users, while in my case I'd like to restrict access by default and allow it only in some specific cases.

I hope I made myself clear and I thank you in advance for your hints.

why is it not safe ?
Hi,

For this reason:

(2014-07-25, 09:28 AM)stefanomoret Wrote: [ -> ]I'm aware I could solve this by opening "Category A" to everyone and then restricting access to "Sub-forum A" only to "Privileged", but to my understanding this approach isn't really safe. This because, if I open a new "Sub-forum C", this would by default be visible to all "Standard" users, while in my case I'd like to restrict access by default and allow it only in some specific cases.

I need to avoid the risk of creating new sub-forums and having them seen by everyone just because the default inherited permissions allow that.
Or am I getting it wrong?
^ as you said, parent forum permissions are carried over by default to sub-forums unless set manually.
forums and sub-forums can have their own set of permissions. each forum / sub-forum can be configured separately.
Hi,

Yes I know that. The problem I have is quite clearly described here below:

(2014-07-25, 09:28 AM)stefanomoret Wrote: [ -> ]As an example, I have a "Privileged" user group and a "Standard" user group.

In this example, if by default I set that "Category A" is seen only by "Privileged" users (which is the only way to make sure that new sub-forums will inherit restricted access by default), how can "Standard" users access "Sub-Forum B"? I've tried implementing the example above, and what happens is that "Standard" users simply don't see anything.
category A --> should have permissions for both privileged & standard users
sub-forum A --> accessible by privileged group (standard users do not see it on the home page)
sub-forum B --> accessible by both user groups
(2014-07-29, 10:09 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]category A --> should have permissions for both privileged & standard users
sub-forum A --> accessible by privileged group (standard users do not see it on the home page)
sub-forum B --> accessible by both user groups

Yes exactly.
But then I really would like to avoid this because, if I open a new "sub-forum C" it will by default be visible to both privileged and standard users, and that's a risk I need to avoid.
What I'd need is to have all Sub-Forums by default visible to a very restricted group of users (the privileged), but I don't know whether this is possible.
Hope I could explain well my point.
at present you can use Copy Forum option, which copies settings & permissions of one forum to the new forum
Ok sure.
So you confirm me that there is no way to create custom default settings for all new sub-forums. Am I right?
Pages: 1 2