MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Your opinion on buying posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What do you think about paying people to post on your forum? Do you think it is a good idea to help build content for new forums or is it considered cheating? Have you ever done it?

Thank you.
Unless you can keep them around it's not effective. I'd rather buy a smaller userbase then pay for a fake one.
(2014-07-29, 01:29 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you can keep them around it's not effective. I'd rather buy a smaller userbase then pay for a fake one.

Exactly.
I wouldn't pay people to post. I'd rather have legitimate users who want to contribute.
Find an unserved/under-served niche and exploit it, easiest way to get it done.

The only advertising we did was about 20 bucks of reddit ads in a relevant subreddit (seriously great place to advertise, cheap too)
I disagree with what's posted above.

Paying people to post on your forums can be an effective way to jumpstart your community. As long as you are still trying to bring in real people, fake members/posts can help create a lively atmosphere to your forum.

Then, once you have a strong activity level from real users, you can stop paying people to post on your forums -- since it obviously will not be needed. Wink
(2014-07-30, 12:27 AM)Spyda Wrote: [ -> ]I disagree with what's posted above.

Paying people to post on your forums can be an effective way to jumpstart your community. As long as you are still trying to bring in real people, fake members/posts can help create a lively atmosphere to your forum.

Then, once you have a strong activity level from real users, you can stop paying people to post on your forums -- since it obviously will not be needed. Wink

But it's fake, and it brings nothing in for the long term. I really stand by what I say, the best way to start your site with an activity is to buy one that's already started up.
(2014-07-30, 02:41 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-30, 12:27 AM)Spyda Wrote: [ -> ]I disagree with what's posted above.

But it's fake, and it brings nothing in for the long term. I really stand by what I say, the best way to start your site with an activity is to buy one that's already started up.

As do I -- Because if you have a difficult board like mine, you pay people to spam it, because they have NO idea! Then they complain when you cancel your order as they spammed. Hello SEOClerks for Dummies!
I've tried this in the past but found it to be useless for the same reasons mentioned above. What I've found is that it's better to post unique content and continue advertising as necessary. Once you pick up a few users who are interested, they will post daily on their own.