MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Unable to sign up; failed bot verification.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, folks.

I do tech support for a site running MyBB v1.6.14. The site has recently had a bad outbreak of spammers, and the site owners have been employing some anti-spam software: Spam Manager v1.0 and Akismet v1.2.2.

To begin with, our super-administrator recently lost her ability to post on the forum, because it said her IP had been blacklisted. We agreed to disable the blocklist.de check, and she regained capabilities. We also disabled the option to "Check user's IP in spam blocklists during thread creation and reply?"

Next, another administrator tried to sign up under a new name and email, and was told that he failed the "bot verification check." A few more changes were made (unfortunately I was not informed of all the changes, and am unsure of what all has been done) and we had another huge influx of spam, as well as a few legitimate members.

Now I can't create a test account either, and I get the bot verification error. (I've uploaded an attachment.)

In general, I don't understand why we would be failing the bot check?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I will try to provide more information on the matter if it is needed.
Try using the Registration Question Plugin instead. It works wonders against nonhuman spammers. Delete the default questions and come up with ones specific to your forum's niche that would be easy.
Thank you for the prompt reply!! Just to be clear, are you referring to the "Registration Security Question" plugin by G33K? (http://mods.mybb.com/view/registration-s...y-question)
Yes I am.