MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Theme conversion/import better then I expected.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I exported my Mybb 1.6 theme and imported it into 1.8 just to see how it would go. To my surprise it seems to work with only a few issues (cant collapse categories or shut off new messages in forums icon). Even my CSS menus embedded in the header carried over.

I also installed the pagemanager plugin (altering the version support number) and it seems to work also as do a few other plugins I tried.

All in all, many of the conversion fears I have had subsided a bit. Wink

Here is an image of 1.8 running my custom theme (based on darkfusion) and a pagamanager page running a video slideshow (includes MyBB header with CSS menu and footer).
[attachment=32071] [attachment=32073]

Keep up the great work MyBB staff. Smile
I hate to rain on anyone's parade but, directly importing it like that may look like it was successful, however you've lost lots of new CSS and features added into 1.8. Going through and manually adding these back in would probably be slower than just manually moving over the customizations in the theme. D:
Hi,

I was impressed by the fact I could even do the above, as I am no expert. It was encouraging to see plugins run (just a little tweaking) even though they were written for the 1.6. The compatibility seems to be better then I had believed it to be and what I was going for in the above.

I did see some CSS (?) changes carry through to the imported theme such as the editor for posting now scales correctly.

- Rich -
It certainly is good that you were able to upgrade quite easily. Just some info about upgrading manually, it took about an hour to fully upgrade one of my themes and only required editing the following templates:

footer
header
header_quicksearch
header_welcomeblock_guest
header_welcomeblock_member
nav
nav_bit
nav_bit_active
nav_sep
nav_sep_active
headerinclude

and global.css

The only new template contents I had to pay attention to were:
{$quicksearch} and {$awaitingusers} in header
{$theme_select} in footer

Overall a very simple upgrade.
Cool..

If you don't mind; what generally did you have to change in the above? I'm interested in any tip's you may have. Wink
Use the find updated templates tool and then diff report to see what's changed in each template. Wink
Personally I'd start from scratch and apply the changes I made to make the 1.6 theme to a new 1.8 theme...
(2014-08-03, 09:12 PM)Vidiot_X Wrote: [ -> ]Cool..

If you don't mind; what generally did you have to change in the above? I'm interested in any tip's you may have. Wink

Building on what Jordan said, what I mentioned in the post before is the only thing that I kept in the templates I listed. So basically I just copy/pasted the template from 1.6 to 1.8, keeping the main differences from them (Theme selector, putting the quick search in it's own template, etc). Personally I wouldn't use a diff viewer for this, however, since it might make you think something in 1.8 needs to be there if it doesn't.

As far as global.css changes, that's probably the most complicated/time intensive part. Basically I just look at what isn't styled after I've copied all the templates over from 1.6 and add the appropriate CSS in (Things like .thead, #content, etc). Most people put all the custom CSS at the bottom of global.css, so that's easy enough to just copy/paste in.