MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stop 1.6 work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After the release of 1.6.14 I felt that no more versions were needed since 1.8 is so close to stable. I noticed that 1.6.15 was being released in github and now I noticed it is.

I feel it was completely a waste of time to do this since 1.6.14 was in no major risk. I think that the developers should focus on just the 1.8 series now and get that stable and just provide support for 1.6

I mean why continue making 1.6 series when everybody is going to most likely upgrade to 1.8 when it releases.

Is there like some guidelines or patterns that have to be followed or was 1.6.15 just something to throw out there for the meantime.
1.6 will continue to receive security fixes and support for some time after 1.8 is released, just as with the 1.4/1.6 rollout. Not everyone will want to update to 1.8 right away and some may not be able to. The work being applied to 1.6 is also being applied to 1.8 (as it is only bug fixes being applied to 1.6) so there is no extra work involved at all.
Have you read the announcement? 1.6.15 is the last release.
IIRC, they don't plan on dropping 1.6 support immediately after the 1.8 release, so the bug/security fixes will need to be implemented at some point or another anyhow. It is clear at this point that 1.8 is pretty much their focus right now, but as a MyBB user, I appreciate that they are continuing to maintain their current product. I have confidence that they will do the same and continue to support MyBB 1.8 while 2.0 is under development.

EDIT: I apparently didn't read the announcement thoroughly enough. My apologies.
(2014-08-04, 09:27 PM)cyberj Wrote: [ -> ]I mean why continue making 1.6 series when everybody is going to most likely upgrade to 1.8 when it releases.

I think it'll more be a general upgrade to 1.8 as more themes/plugins are made compatible. As said above, 1.6 will be supported for a while still and the bug fixes are being applied to 1.8 also considering it is based on the same code.
First stable still contains many bugs identified as minor and decided to be fixed later as well as many new unrevealed ones. This may be a trouble to some big traffic sites but a stable release is also required for mass to use and report bugs. Hence for the time being since 1.8 goes to not much identified bugs the sites can't afford bugs may use 1.6.15 as its gonna be more security fixed.

Curious people can still track github and apply those minor fixes which are being applied to 1.8 but skipped for 1.6 by going through the Files Changed tab of the PRs.
(2014-08-04, 09:27 PM)cyberj Wrote: [ -> ]After the release of 1.6.14 I felt that no more versions were needed since 1.8 is so close to stable. I noticed that 1.6.15 was being released in github and now I noticed it is.

I feel it was completely a waste of time to do this since 1.6.14 was in no major risk. I think that the developers should focus on just the 1.8 series now and get that stable and just provide support for 1.6

I mean why continue making 1.6 series when everybody is going to most likely upgrade to 1.8 when it releases.

Is there like some guidelines or patterns that have to be followed or was 1.6.15 just something to throw out there for the meantime.

It's a standard to keep fixing the current supported software while working on the next major version. 1.6 has been very good to us all and it still must be shown love while 1.8 is being worked on. Trust me all of us are on the edge of our seat waiting on the 1.8 release. Based on what I see here, it's not going to be much longer Wink.
Four out of the five issues listed here are tagged as fixed, and the remaining one is one that, from the looks of it, may or may not be fixed at this point. I'm pretty freaking excited. Toungue
(2014-08-04, 09:27 PM)cyberj Wrote: [ -> ][...]

I feel it was completely a waste of time [...]

We appreciate your comments, thanks!

Now I invite you to read the release announcement.

Quote:This is the last maintenance release of the 1.6 series.
And sadly I won't be here for the party, going on vacation pretty soon Sad
Part of me going sad for being on vacation, another part of me feels pretty happy for going on vacation Big Grin
Pages: 1 2