MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: exceeded the 'max_user_connections' resource
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.

SQL Error:
1226 - User '******' has exceeded the 'max_user_connections' resource (current value: 30)
Query:
[READ] Unable to connect to MySQL server

Have gotten this a couple of times last couple days. Any ideas?
recent related thread => Max User Connections caused by persistent connections?
see also this earlier thread => Max User Connections Workaround

it would be better to contact web host and seek support
You need to ask your webhost to raise the value for you, or pick a host that does not have such limitations.
Hello .m. and spork, thanks for your quick reply.

Could this issue cause high resource usage? EG connections max out so resources max out trying to make up for it. Not sure if that makes any sense...

Or possibly the other way around? The resources max out causing any issue with max connections? That makes even less sense...

But hosting is implying its a resource limit issue...I'm not sure which is causing which though...

Thanks for any replies...
It sounds like the host has your mysql account limited to a maximum of 30 connections. You must be getting a lot of traffic on your forum. I'd be happy to recommend a better host to you if you need one that doesn't have such frivolous limitations.
(2014-08-07, 05:14 PM)spork985 Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds like the host has your mysql account limited to a maximum of 30 connections. You must be getting a lot of traffic on your forum. I'd be happy to recommend a better host to you if you need one that doesn't have such frivolous limitations.

Yes, but as to the previous question... Could the connections maxing out cause physical memory issues? Or is it the other way around, could physical memory spiking cause the connections to max out...? They are happening together, but don't know which is causing which... My site has been way way busier than this in the past and never had this problem.

Also, I have seen in another thread that its not even needed to keep these on. Should I turn persistent connections off?

Thanks again
What kind of traffic are you doing? Do you have 100 guests on at any one time? The limit is not memory-related. The limit is defined in the mysql user account.
Thanks again for your reply Spork

Easily up to 100 at a time. Also, I might mention I've had as many as 400 on at a time with no problems at all. This error is something new. It correlates with upgrade to 1.6.14, but I'm not sure thats the issue. Perhaps a plugin is bugging out or not jiving?

The thing is that the CPU resources are maxing out at the same time as the database issues...

Take a look here...You see it normally sits pretty, but then bugs out every once in awhile. Not sure what is causing it.

Here is the reply from hosting:

Processes stack up because your account is frequently limited for excessive MySQL usage.
A heavy query (or queries) force resources manager to restrict further usage and temporary limit access to database. It is not completely cut off, but slowdown caused by the limits set results in a processes queue quickly building up due to big number of requests your sites receives.

First of all, we would recommend to search for an aggressive caching solution that would allow to convert dynamic content (PHP and MySQL) into temporary static HTML pages. Wordpress users often use such plugins. In addition or alternatively to that, you could try decreasing number of sideboxes.
It is very likely that generation of a page like this creates considerable database engine load, when all these articles should be found and arranged in a convenient list, bigger part of which, most likely, is never noticed by a visitor.

There is not much difference between the servers. Configuration of database resource manager is identical, but CPU is slightly less powerful on the new carrier, and it is possible that aspect affected performance.
However, we would strongly recommend to try to optimize the site, because even if there's a more powerful server, resources heap may not be convenient with current operation logic of the site.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

----

I'm guessing hosting doesn't understand the nature of forum threads. They are dynamic and can change when someone adds or a post or makes an edit. Not static pages such as on wordpress. But some other things there make sense I guess. The thing is that we have had way more users in the past online at once...With no problem at all. And the spikes are intermittent...Seem to have nothing to do with the amount of users online.