MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Default group settings are "screwed"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have noticed this annoying issue in MyBB 1.6.X versions too. I call it an issue due it makes non-sense to me.
I am now using latest GitHub feature release of MyBB 1.8.
What exactly I mean is the following:
On fresh MyBB 1.8 installation, navigate to "home/admin/index.php?module=user-groups&action=edit&gid=1#tab_forums_posts", that should be a page for editing Guest user group in ACP with "Forums and Posts" page selected.
By default, guests are not able to post new threads/replies on forum, which is just fine, now take a look at "Editing/Deleting Options" section at the bottom:
"Can edit own posts?" Checked.
"Can delete own posts?" Checked.
"Can delete own threads?" Checked.
"Can update own attachments?" Checked.
Here is a preview image.
This is absolutely non-sense, why would these be checked by default?
They all should NOT be checked by default.
Yes it is somewhat annoying, and there is even more such mistakes on other groups.
Lets continue on, stay on (Guest) Edit User Group page, just change page from "Forums and Posts" to "Users and Permissions". Here I spotted another setting being checked, named "Can change website?".
Dafuq? Guests are not able to access user control panel (UCP). Okay, that's all I found wrong on Guests.
Lets switch to "Banned" user group: "home/admin/index.php?module=user-groups&action=edit&gid=7#tab_users_permissions", should take you to "Users and Permissions" page for "Banned" group.
Here I spot only two mistakes, they are:
"Can change website?" Checked, while it should not be due they do not have access to user CP by default.
And, "Can use private messaging?" which is also checked by default, it should not be.

Also, another most annoying thing is that it nowhere says which user group am I currently editing while on some "Edit User Group" page.
Please, consider fixing such mess in MyBB 1.8 version.

Best regards, OmegaExtern. Smile
Hi,

Thank you for your report. We have pushed this issue to our Github repository for further analysis where you can track our commits and progress with fixing this bug. Discussions regarding this bug may also take place there too.

Follow this link to visit the issue on Github: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/1166

Thanks for contributing to MyBB!

Regards,
The MyBB Group
(2014-08-10, 08:56 PM)Starpaul20 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Thank you for your report. We have pushed this issue to our Github repository for further analysis where you can track our commits and progress with fixing this bug. Discussions regarding this bug may also take place there too.

Follow this link to visit the issue on Github: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/1166

Thanks for contributing to MyBB!

Regards,
The MyBB Group
@Starpaul20 No problem, I glad I can help in testing. Thanks for pushing it on GitHub Smile