MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spammers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, Community of MyBB.

So, since a little time (2 weeks?) im using MyBB forum software. After a week there been signing people up, and spamming the forum. I've did a IP-Lookup, they all come from Asia, 60% come from India.

Is there any way to prevent this?

We've already starting banning that sort of people, we're now insta-banning people with a strange name and IP. ( http://www.imgdumper.nl/uploads8/53e8b1f...amloos.png )

I hope you can help me!

Kind Regards,
IWC Forum team.
A quick and easy method of banning IP addresses from countries such as India, Asia, etc is available through the ACP.
ACP>Configuration (then left columnSmile>Banning
You can ban an entire geographical area with the use of wildcards.
Banned IP Example: 31.*.*.*

So. . .look up the spammers IP address. . .learn what areas they are coming from and then ban those area through the ACP
I would highly recommend security questions. Bots are too dumb to answer these as the automatic generator does not understand the request. It comes default with 1.8

I usually set questions up like what color is Spongebob Squarepants pink or yellow, or what color is the grass, or even put questions in like:

Question: Type the word Batman in the answer box.

That way they have to read the question.

Bots/spammers cannot answer these.
That's very clever, aaronnz.

@FirstReply I've saw that topic already, used some plugins, isn't working at-all... ;x

If made some drastic changes; He country's with the most proxy's (India, China, US, etc) is blocked. Huge-range IP's blocked, and more. I'll keep you up-to-date! Smile
Make your security questions related to your forum's subject matter. How many people without kids know what color Sponge Bob is?
(2014-08-12, 06:21 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]Make your security questions related to your forum's subject matter. How many people without kids know what color Sponge Bob is?

Then they google search it's not that hard. Plus who in their right mind has never heard of Spongebob.
I would agree, Sponge Bob is all over Facebook as memes so it be just like The Simpsons. I'm positive everyone has heard of Bart.

If they still don't know then like Aaron has said Google is the answer.