MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Files not writeable need to be 777, set as 755 currently
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, basically I was doing my website and put it back due to an issue, I used a backup to restore the site. Once doing so, no matter what I get the message in tools and maintenance "8 of the required files and directories do not have proper CHMOD settings. Please change the CHMOD settings to the ones specified with the file below. For more information on CHMODing, see the MyBB Docs."

Note that all the files at the moment are set to 755. I can set to 777 to fix it, BUT the issue is. I have seen a lot of stuff about people can get into my site and mess it up / take it with 777 set on. So I am unsure of where to go / what to do as all is set to 755.
Quote:I can set to 777 to fix it, BUT the issue is. I have seen a lot of stuff about people can get into my site and mess it up / take it with 777 set on. So I am unsure of where to go / what to do as all is set to 755.

If they can break in to your forum, file permissions is the least of your worries. chmoding your files to 777 doesn't pose any direct risk.
Oh okay. I read a lot online on MyBB forums and many people said not to do as 777 only 755 as big chance they can get in / upload to your website.
./upload just contains file attachments and avatars. Brute forcing the names would likely be a path to failure. Although 777 is recommended in general, to prevent issues with some web hosts which act weird, 755 is fine too.
you can change the permission as asked, depending upon the file manager you use or from Cpanel itself. Its pretty easy. If you are using Filezilla file manager, then just right click on file and change its permission, and from your own file manager, just click on 755 and put it as 777, or as asked.
(2014-08-15, 11:28 AM)Toneage Wrote: [ -> ]Oh okay. I read a lot online on MyBB forums and many people said not to do as 777 only 755 as big chance they can get in / upload to your website.

A permission of 777 is not insecure in itself, it would still require an attacker to have a way to physically upload a file. The permission means it will be globally writable, but doesn't give any method to actually upload to it. You could try 757 or 775 as these can work, but if not, 777 won't be a problem.
Just do 777. Keep the latest version of MyBB, and make sure to limit plugins, queries etc. Their is tons of plugins out there to help against Sql injection, XSS forms RFL etc. (Not MyBB but for your software if on VPS.)