MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why don't you release any RC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I still can't understand why you decided not to release any Release Candidate
Unlike phpBB that is still releasing 3 of them recently, mybb 1.8 is not doing it! 
Why should we release a RC when we are about to release the final version?
Well, I just want to understand the reason of not releasing any RC before final release!
I'd still prefer that 1.8.0 is better than now and fully completed if I had to upgrade from 1.6.15
RC is just a fancy name for a pre-release version. Clone a copy of the github repo and checkout the feature branch. Bam, 'release candidate'.
@jpninside: can you name any advantage releasing a RC has?

Since the team is working on Beta 3, MyBB 1.8 is feature closed, so there is no real difference between Beta 3 and a RC1, except for the naming...
MyBB 1.8 will be there really soon - just check GitHub - MyBB team and other contributors are working hard to fix latest bugs...

There is no problem to release RC version, but it is not the priority. Moreover - MyBB 1.8 runs here on mybb.com and it was really good step - many bugs have been found thanks to this. Really good idea from mybb team!
@Cameron, exactly what I wanted to say, just download the feature branch package from github and you'll have 1.8 RC.
(2014-08-16, 11:26 AM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]RC is just a fancy name for a pre-release version. Clone a copy of the github repo and checkout the feature branch. Bam, 'release candidate'.
I'm starting to understand... Thanks for the explication!

(2014-08-16, 11:27 AM)Nik101010 Wrote: [ -> ]@jpninside: can you name any advantage releasing a RC has?

Since the team is working on Beta 3, MyBB 1.8 is feature closed, so there is no real difference between Beta 3 and a RC1, except for the naming...
You can try and try and try over and over again until there are not any other bug to fix or any other feature to code and to add later! That's what I think about releasing RC!

(2014-08-16, 11:28 AM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 1.8 will be there really soon - just check GitHub - MyBB team and other contributors are working hard to fix latest bugs...

There is no problem to release RC version, but it is not the priority. Moreover - MyBB 1.8 runs here on mybb.com and it was really good step - many bugs have been found thanks to this. Really good idea from mybb team!
Oh yeah, maybe that was the best idea the dev staff could really have to fix issues, bugs and other problems!
(2014-08-16, 11:47 AM)jpninside Wrote: [ -> ]You can try and try and try over and over again until there are not any other bug to fix or any other feature to code and to add later! That's what I think about releasing RC!

There are so many (sometimes old) bugs, things to add etc that we never would release 1.8 if we try to fix everything Wink However we try to make 1.8 as stable as possible but as said we fix many things (I found and fixed at least 10 bugs in the last two day) that you would have many many RC's. It's easier for us to point you to GitHub where you can download your own "RC" Toungue
(2014-08-16, 11:54 AM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]It's easier for us to point you to GitHub where you can download your own "RC" Toungue
I guess you're right on this. Thanks for explication!