MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How does usergroup permissions work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I'll be moving to MyBB(from XF) once 1.8 is out..

I'm just curious how 1.8's User groups work. Here's an example:

Team A usergroup has full access to Forum A but not Forum B
Team B usergroup has full access to Forum B but not Forum A

If I set my primary usergroup to Team A and my additional usergroup to Team B and leave display group to "Primary", I have access to forum A and B.. I would assume that "Yes" overrides "Nos" regardless of order and if primary or not.

If I do what I did above, except I set my display group manually to Team A(which is my primary usergroup).. I only have access to Forum A and not Forum B, eventhough I have Team B in my additional groups.

What am I missing here? Or am I doing something wrong? I've asked an associate, he said that:
"it checks your primary group: 1). if primary group has forum as allowed, permit. end. 2). if primary group has forum disallowed, block. end. 3). if primary group has forum as inherit, then check additional groups. 3a). if one addtional group has forum with allow then permit. 3b). if all additonal groups have forum as inherit or denied, then block."

but I just needed to be sure before moving boards.

Thanks!
There's a question I don't know how to answer for sure - I guess this looks bad as I'm a developer and have been part of the team for years. Still, I don't know everything so I went ahead to test it.

My primary group is group A. Group A has access to forum A only. My additional group is group B. Group B has access to forum B only.

I can only see forum A. Forum B is not shown because primary group overrides additional groups. So apparently you can't have an additional group giving more permissions to the primary.

Now, I believe this was not like this before..........I think. Anyway MyBB permissions are a bit complex, even for myself. So I guess they're complex for regular users too...or perhaps just to myself.
(2014-08-16, 06:29 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]There's a question I don't know how to answer for sure - I guess this looks bad as I'm a developer and have been part of the team for years. Still, I don't know everything so I went ahead to test it.

My primary group is group A. Group A has access to forum A only. My additional group is group B. Group B has access to forum B only.

I can only see forum A. Forum B is not shown because primary group overrides additional groups. So apparently you can't have an additional group giving more permissions to the primary.

Now, I believe this was not like this before..........I think. Anyway MyBB permissions are a bit complex, even for myself. So I guess they're complex for regular users too...or perhaps just to myself.

I had to redo all my forum permissions and now it somehow works.

Instead of draging the View Forum, Post Thread, etc buttons.. I first had to clear every forums custom permissions.. then add them one by one using the link on the right. For usergroups that aren't being touched, I had to drag at least one of the buttons into disabled and then back into enabled to get it to actually work.

Well, I hope to see a better way of doing it in 2.0.
2.0 is a whole re-write, everything's going to be thought from ground to top.
You probably could have just used the Cache Manager to rebuild the forumpermission cache. When I looked through the code long ago the higher value always takes priority unless it is the canonlyviewownthreads. I believe canonlyreplytown threads also follows this, but haven't confirmed it.