MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Random password not sent out ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After registration...

Quote:"A random password has been generated and sent to your email address. Before you can login on these forums, you will need to check your email for this password."

But, the random pswd is not being sent out... have tried several different email registrations for both 'smtp' (am told the host is smtp, but tried both) and 'php' mail settings.

At the ACP the following settings are selected...

Configuration > User Registration and Profile Options > Registration Method > [Send Random Password] 
Configuration > Mail Settings > [smtp(no authentication required) or php] (have tried both)

Is there some other ACP setting that needs to be changed, etc ? Confused
Thoughts ?
A few questions:

1) Are any other emails being sent out? i.e. subscribed thread notifications, or PM notifications?

2) What type of hosting do you have? Shared, or VM\Dedi? If the latter, would you be able to check your mail log? (/var/maillog on most distros)

3) What are you using for your SMTP info when you choose SMTP? Please exclude email addresses and passwords when posting on the forum.
Thank you for the reply/questions.
1. yes, subscribed thread notifications are being sent out
2. am not sure about the hosting, but there is a /var/log/... /apache2, /apt, /mysql, etc
and a /var/mail
3. nothing at smtp other than' hostname' and' port'#... no authentication required

Also checked the ACP > T&M > System Mail Log > and found the following error message...

Quote:The mail server does not understand the RCPT TO command. Reason: 550 <[email protected]>... Relaying denied

Checked the error message online, and not much help.
Ideas ?

Quote:Posted by Zack Magee - 19 minutes ago A few questions:
1) Are any other emails being sent out? i.e. subscribed thread notifications, or PM notifications?
2) What type of hosting do you have? Shared, or VM\Dedi? If the latter, would you be able to check your mail log? (/var/maillog on most distros)
3) What are you using for your SMTP info when you choose SMTP? Please exclude email addresses and passwords when posting on the forum
(2014-08-17, 10:33 PM)akm Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the reply/questions.
1. yes, subscribed thread notifications are being sent out
2. am not sure about the hosting, but there is a /var/log/... /apache2, /apt, /mysql, etc
and a /var/mail
3. nothing at smtp other than' hostname' and' port'#... no authentication required

Also checked the ACP > T&M > System Mail Log > and found the following error message...

Quote:The mail server does not understand the RCPT TO command. Reason: 550 <[email protected]>... Relaying denied

Checked the error message online, and not much help.
Ideas ?

So it looks like the destination mailboxes don't exist; that's what 550 means. If you'd like to private message me with login info for your board, and access to your logs, I will gladly take a look.
Thanks for the reply.
Attached should be a scrnshot of the 'System Mail Log'.
It appears like the problem may have started around 8/9 ?
Not sure what happened around that time, but it seems like its about the time the problem started.
Some of the log addresses are from personal email accounts (which I used to test) that I know are valid.
Others appear to be from spammers.
Other thoughts ?

Quote:Posted by Zack Magee - 5 hours ago
So it looks like the destination mailboxes don't exist; that's what 550 means. If you'd like to private message me with login info for your board, and access to your logs, I will gladly take a look.