MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Template conditionals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We don't add any new features to 1.8 at this point: http://community.mybb.com/thread-155431.html
(2014-08-25, 12:16 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]We don't add any new features to 1.8 at this point: http://community.mybb.com/thread-155431.html

I see. Can I argue though that just simply allowing us to use conditionals in templates, I would not really call a 'feature'?

Soft Delete, Private Messages, Buddy system, Thread Subscriptions, Thread Rating, Polls, Announcements, avatars, signatures, reporting, banning etc etc are features - allowing us to use conditionals in templates is no more a feature than allowing the use of html and javascript in templates, imo.

I don't know what it would take to implement this functionality into the core though. Would it require a lot of work/coding?

(I understand though that the possibility of this making it into 1.8.0 at least is nonexistent).
If we added template conditionals, so much code would have to be edited to take advantage of it. Any moderator type features would need to be edited.
There is a plugin for this already (and I imagine it will work on Mybb 1.8 with some minor tweaks, but I could be wrong) so why waste anymore time on it?
(2014-08-27, 12:32 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]If we added template conditionals, so much code would have to be edited to take advantage of it. Any moderator type features would need to be edited.

I don't know what you mean but I'm not asking to add anything but the ability for themers to use conditionals in templates.

Judging from this plugin, adding this functionality shouldn't be too hard and/or time-consuming.

(2014-08-27, 01:52 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]There is a plugin for this already (and I imagine it will work on Mybb 1.8 with some minor tweaks, but I could be wrong) so why waste anymore time on it?

What's with this attitude of 'there's a plugin for this already so shouldn't be added to the core' that so many people have. Since when does the fact there's a plugin for a certain feature automatically mean said feature or a similar feature shoudn't be core?
(2014-08-28, 03:46 PM)darkhorus Wrote: [ -> ]What's with this attitude of 'there's a plugin for this already so shouldn't be added to the core' that so many people have. Since when does the fact there's a plugin for a certain feature automatically mean said feature or a similar feature shoudn't be core?

It might have something to do with Mybb 1.8 being out of its time, so instead of the Dev's working on completely revamping the templates with this change I would rather they got started on Mybb 2 which will be more modern.  
(2014-08-28, 05:08 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-28, 03:46 PM)darkhorus Wrote: [ -> ]What's with this attitude of 'there's a plugin for this already so shouldn't be added to the core' that so many people have. Since when does the fact there's a plugin for a certain feature automatically mean said feature or a similar feature shoudn't be core?

It might have something to do with Mybb 1.8 being out of its time, so instead of the Dev's working on completely revamping the templates with this change I would rather they got started on Mybb 2 which will be more modern.  

Revamping the templates with this change? Waste time on it? Much code needs to be edited? Moderator type features need editing?

Look at the template conditionals plugin - it only consists of a single file - the plugin file - which doesn't include many lines of code at all. That's it.

I'm not asking for the devs to put conditionals into MyBB's templates and such, but just to give us the ability to use them in templates if we so wish. Nothing more nothing less. Just like the template conditionals plugin.
For those who came here through a Google search like I did, the Conditional Templates plug-in works just fine in 1.8 and takes 2 seconds to FTP up to your site and activate. Lots of moaning and groaning in here over nothing. I wish the author of this would have uploaded it to the 1.8 plug-ins. I just needed to hide a part of a template. I look forward to 2.0!

http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=464
(2015-01-30, 02:46 AM)ThatMouse Wrote: [ -> ]For those who came here through a Google search like I did, the Conditional Templates plug-in works just fine in 1.8 and takes 2 seconds to FTP up to your site and activate.

Yep, that's why it almost definitely won't make into 1.8. There are still other features awaiting to be added that are impossible or very hard to be done with plugins so the "there's a plugin for this already so shouldn't be added to the core" attitude is just reasonability.

(2015-01-30, 02:46 AM)ThatMouse Wrote: [ -> ]I wish the author of this would have uploaded it to the 1.8 plug-ins.

I wish that too, but there are at least several people who keep free 1.8 plugins only on their sites, which doesn't make MyBB more healthy (at least one of these authors complained that MyBB is dead, so..) since many users don't know about them. But their choice.
Thanks Destroy666, it looks active enough. MyBB is amazingly well designed. I chose this over the two most popular bb's because it took me about 14 hours to get my site up to near perfection and the default template is even good enough to use for now (http://thatmouse.com).

Conditional Templates is a workaround that might be fixable by reorganizing the templates a little...
Pages: 1 2 3