MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Template conditionals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Why does MyBB not allow the use of simple conditionals in templates? Like with this plugin, http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=260 (not the PHP part - just conditionals)

This would open up new opportunities for theme designers to accomplish things in their themes that would normally require core file edits.

Therefore I think the ability to add simple conditionals to templates wouldn't go astray.

Thoughts?
No one?
Nothing against that, I use these quite often, but both the plugin you linked and the simplified Template Conditionals should work just fine in 1.8 so adding this feature to the core is not a priority for us at all.

Templating enhancements will surely be introduced in 2.0 anyways.
(2014-08-19, 02:03 PM)darkhorus Wrote: [ -> ](not the PHP part - just conditionals) (...)

This would open up new opportunities for theme designers to accomplish things in their themes that would normally require core file edits.

especially PHP part Big Grin that indeed "open up new opportunities for theme designers to accomplish things" easy that would normally require more effort and creation of plugin. - because mybb is modern software where everything can be done without any core edits. Its not phpBB.
but this will not cause security issue?
(2014-08-23, 12:57 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]but this will not cause security issue?

Humans are 'most weak part of every security system', so yes for security and sake of some users its good that direct php in templates is not available by default. Tho template conditionals version (without php) is not a bad suggestion, while conditionals with php version, should stay as optional (for hardcore users).
(2014-08-23, 01:03 PM)avril Wrote: [ -> ]Humans are 'most weak part of every security system', so yes for security and sake of some users its good that direct php in templates is not available by default. Tho template conditionals version (without php) is not a bad suggestion, while conditionals with php version, should stay as optional (for hardcore users).

thanks for information Big Grin
(2014-08-23, 12:42 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing against that, I use these quite often
I use them non stop, this and xthreads are first plugins i always install Big Grin

(2014-08-23, 01:08 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for information Big Grin
If you meant "if its safe" then yes it is - as long as its in reliable hands, like everything anyway because one may hurt self with teaspoon too, which does not meant that its teaspoon's fault.
(2014-08-23, 12:42 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing against that, I use these quite often, but both the plugin you linked and the simplified Template Conditionals should work just fine in 1.8 so adding this feature to the core is not a priority for us at all.

Templating enhancements will surely be introduced in 2.0 anyways.

Why wait for 2.0? Going from how small the plugin is, I reckon implementing something similar into the core wouldn't take much time and effort at all?

(2014-08-23, 12:56 PM)avril Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-19, 02:03 PM)darkhorus Wrote: [ -> ](not the PHP part - just conditionals) (...)

especially PHP part Big Grin that indeed "open up new opportunities for theme designers to accomplish things" easy that would normally require more effort and creation of plugin. - because mybb is modern software where everything can be done without any core edits. Its not phpBB.

Well what I meant was accomplish such things easily and directly through the templates Big Grin

Well I don't really care for the PHP part, I just want to be able to use my IF statements and such in my themes to be able to do more things Big Grin

For security reasons, I don't see direct PHP being an option anyway, at least not for now. However, with simple conditionals, I don't see a problem.
Up up.
Pages: 1 2 3