MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Before MyBB, what forum script were you using ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
None. Huh
a polish mod of phpBB (by przemo)
I'm old, I started on EZBoard's hosted solution in 1997. Then I moved to phpBB 1.1 and had it so heavily customized and integrated with other areas of my site I had to manually apply all the fixes and upgrades from 1.2 and 1.3 and finally 2.0.

Then I found MyBB 1.4 and built the entire site from scratch again using the cool plugin system to make all my new pages and functional areas.
Before MyBB I was on a remote hosted service called Jcink Forum Hosting. (JFH uses a heavily modified version of Invision Power Board 1.3.) I started on JFH in 2010 and moved to self hosted this year for my forum's 4th anniversary.
I first started out with forums using phpbb. once I realized how daunting of a task it was to apply mods to the site, I moved my forum over to mybb 1.2 and have been with mybb ever since.
(2014-08-25, 08:00 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]I first started out with forums using phpbb.  once I realized how daunting of a task it was to apply mods to the site, I moved my forum over to mybb 1.2 and have been with mybb ever since.

I remember those days for me on phpbb all too well. SMF was that was as well since the mod installer didn't work on my server. I mean at least they had a mod installer as a part of the core package, but clearly it wasn't working as well as it was supposed to work. 

The hooks system in MyBB is beautiful. I'm glad that MyBB has had hooks as a core part of the software for quite some time now. 
(2014-08-25, 08:25 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-25, 08:00 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]I first started out with forums using phpbb.  once I realized how daunting of a task it was to apply mods to the site, I moved my forum over to mybb 1.2 and have been with mybb ever since.

I remember those days for me on phpbb all too well. SMF was that was as well since the mod installer didn't work on my server. I mean at least they had a mod installer as a part of the core package, but clearly it wasn't working as well as it was supposed to work. 

The hooks system in MyBB is beautiful. I'm glad that MyBB has had hooks as a core part of the software for quite some time now. 

I used SMF for a short period of time a few years ago when I was helping a friend run a computer help forum.

aside from the ability to download and install plugins from the admin cp (a feature I really liked), I wasn't impressed.
(2014-08-20, 08:52 PM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]Before switching to MyBB, what other forum script were you using ?.

If MyBB was/is your first forum and you're still using, just say MyBB  and tell us what version number you started with.

vBulletin & phpBB
I've actually started with MyBB. I moved to vBulletin for about two months, but came back to MyBB cause it's just the best forum software.
I start with phpBB 2 I think, but was a pain in the *** to configure the permissions of each type of user group. After, I saw and used SMF for long time (I think until they launched the stable release).

Then, a friend bought the licence of vBulletin, and I used vB for about 5 / 6 years I think (vB 4)... but, in the time that I administered this forum, found the amazing MyBB community and when I saw that... Was love instantly.
Pages: 1 2 3 4