MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Permission changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In general I like the MyBB permission system, for it is really powerful, but I have some things in mind, that could make it easier...

1) Never system
In the current system one yes overwrites all no(s). 
This leads to a problem with banned users. They need to be removed from all additional usergroups (and added again after their ban). MyBB does this automatically, but you cannot easily determine to which additional usergroups a banned user belongs / the user list of a group is incomplete. 

Adding a never option to all permission that cannot be overwritten by a yes would solve this problem. A banned user could remain in all additional groups, when the banned group uses the never permission for everything. With this setting managing groups would also be much easier, because you could manage stuff that users in a specific primary group can't do directly in this group and don't have to check this stuff for each and every group. 

2) Rethink can only view own threads / can only reply to own threads
These two permissions are inconsistent with all other permissions. Instead of the current permissions "can only view own threads" and "can view threads" I'd like the permissions "can view own threads" and "can view others' threads". Same for replying. 
1) I agree with.

2) Why should there be a separate permission to see your thread? I'd rather keep it as can only view own threads.
2) You're right Big Grin Didn't think about that - one could remove the "can see own thread" permission and only have a permission "can see others' threads".
Why change it? Consistency Smile This is the only permission that works different...
The "can see own thread" permission is needed for some forums (such as the "Private Inquiries" forum on this site). In essence, it allows a user to see their own threads in a forum they normally wouldn't have permission.
I don't want to get rid of the possibility to have a forum where you can only see own threads. I just want to integrate this permission better and in a consistent way...
I agree. MyBB's permissions system is fine for most purposes, but the lack of a "never" permissions system can be a bit of a pain when dealing with situations where it is imperative that certain usergroups never have specific permissions, regardless of the permissions set by other groups.

As for suggestion #2, that would mean even more to drag/drop in configuring restricted boards. As long as there is a better interface for configuring permissions, I suppose I agree, it would make things a little more consistent if that's the goal. Toungue
*bump*

Now that 2.0 development started - any chance, there'll be a 'never' option in the permission system?
There is Wink
(2015-05-26, 12:11 PM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]There is Wink
Sounds good - nice 
Yeah, I'd also like a way to review overall permissions for a group. Currently this can be confusing for inherited groups. This would also include listing the forums groups can view/post in, etc.
Pages: 1 2