MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: British English??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Ah moving to myBB from a very well known paid forum software, had enough of the bloatware going on! Wink

I've installed the forums but I noticed the language pack is 'English' but American.

I've tried downloading the British English pack but it directs me to a 404 for the Github repository.
Anyone know where I can get this please?

I certainly don't want to use the American version of English - as it's not correct English.
I would appreciate some help with this..

The link I used was;
http://www.mybb.com/download/translations/

If you click English (United Kingdom) we get a 404..

Would appreciate a point in the right direction as a Google search also yields no results....

Many thanks in advance.
Regards

Glock
That language pack is for MyBB 1.6.0. You'll run in to issues if you use it. A lot of variables have changed since then (4 years ago).

You either need to use the default English language pack or update the British English one yourself.
Hi,

Ahh blast... that's not cricket at all..
Okay I am happy to update it, do you know where I can find the original files?

Many thanks once more.
(2014-08-23, 01:20 PM)Glock Wrote: [ -> ]Ahh blast... that's not cricket at all..

What a British thing to say Toungue

The easiest thing to do would be to download a fresh copy of MyBB, and look inside ./inc/languages. You'll see there's a file called english.php and a folder called english; you'll need to copy this file and call it something else (british_english.php or just british.php), edit the relevant information inside, then copy the english folder, name it the same as you named the new file, and then edit the language strings inside all of the files inside this folder.

Personally though I'd wait until 1.8 has been released, as there'll be little point in translating for 1.6 now, and the current 1.8 beta may have changes before now and gold (unless you'd just make any necessary changes after gold is released).
Ignore that, I will edit the US one to correct English and use that.
Will up it to the repository if anyone else is interested once I have done it.

Wink

(2014-08-23, 01:27 PM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-23, 01:20 PM)Glock Wrote: [ -> ]Ahh blast... that's not cricket at all..

What a British thing to say Toungue

The easiest thing to do would be to download a fresh copy of MyBB, and look inside ./inc/languages. You'll see there's a file called english.php and a folder called english; you'll need to copy this file and call it something else (british_english.php or just british.php), edit the relevant information inside, then copy the english folder, name it the same as you named the new file, and then edit the language strings inside all of the files inside this folder.

Personally though I'd wait until 1.8 has been released, as there'll be little point in translating for 1.6 now, and the current 1.8 beta may have changes before now and gold (unless you'd just make any necessary changes after gold is released).

Haha it is rather eh?
Hmm okay, thanks for the head's up...
I have already started editing the files after making a copy, but will drop them for now until such time as the latest release is out.

If you want a hand creating the English language files for 1.8 BETA - I will gladly help.
I've used a different forums as mentioned, a paid for one but bloated, so I am quite looking forward to sinking my teeth into this...

Many thanks for your reply and for letting me know to, basically, hold back!
Cheers old bean Wink