MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why don't you move 1.8.1 issues to 1.8.0?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am sure you won't release 1.8.0 soon - then why don't you move issues from 1.8.1 to 1.8.0? 
I know it will take time before releasing 1.8.0 with that but it will have less bugs! 
Quote:I am sure you won't release 1.8.0 soon - then why don't you move issues from 1.8.1 to 1.8.0?

1.8 is practically ready for release. There are just some loose ends which need to be fixed up. Moving the 1.8.1 issues to 1.8.0 will only slow down the time it takes for 1.8 to get out the door. Not all the 1.8.1 issues will be fixed in 1.8.1 either -- most of them are 1.6 issues which were never fixed due to the complexity of the issue or because of lack of understanding/information. You have to prioritize the issues so you have both stability and a reasonable release time.

There are plenty of bugs within MyBB. The only difference between the ones we know about and the ones we don't, is we have some control over what to do with them.
(2014-08-25, 04:02 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I am sure you won't release 1.8.0 soon - then why don't you move issues from 1.8.1 to 1.8.0?

1.8 is practically ready for release. There are just some loose ends which need to be fixed up. Moving the 1.8.1 issues to 1.8.0 will only slow down the time it takes for 1.8 to get out the door. Not all the 1.8.1 issues will be fixed in 1.8.1 either -- most of them are 1.6 issues which were never fixed due to the complexity of the issue or because of lack of understanding/information. You have to prioritize the issues so you have both stability and a reasonable release time.

There are plenty of bugs within MyBB. The only difference between the ones we know about and the ones we don't, is we have some control over what to do with them.

I see. That's clearer now to me! Thanks for the information/explication - that was useful to me! 

P.S. I know that it will slow down the time for 1.8 to be released but I think it would be better to fix all of the known bugs for the moment before releasing - 1.8.1 is just a minor release! Anyway it's up to dev team's decision to release or not to release! 
(2014-08-25, 04:17 PM)jpninside Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-25, 04:02 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]

I see. That's clearer now to me! Thanks for the information/explication - that was useful to me! 

P.S. I know that it will slow down the time for 1.8 to be released but I think it would be better to fix all of the known bugs for the moment before releasing - 1.8.1 is just a minor release! Anyway it's up to dev team's decision to release or not to release! 

Them being minor issues mean they are hardly reproducible, or even if they occur they don't alter the flow of MyBB and the desired results. Like the one in here related to smilies in WYSIWYG editor :
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/1291

The reason why they need to release 1.8 ASAP apart from the fact that people have been requesting it for years now Smile is that they really need users feedback, as long as it's not used on live forums, many bugs won't be detected/found.

So actually it's a good thing to release the version now, and keep going on with issue-fix releases. Otherwise they will never release it, between the requested features and the found bugs, they have much work in hands to be busy for another significant period of time Wink
(2014-08-25, 04:02 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]Them being minor issues mean they are hardly reproducible, or even if they occur they don't alter the flow of MyBB and the desired results. Like the one in here related to smilies in WYSIWYG editor :

The reason why they need to release 1.8 ASAP apart from the fact that people have been requesting it for years now Smile is that they really need users feedback, as long as it's not used on live forums, many bugs won't be detected/found.

So actually it's a good thing to release the version now, and keep going on with issue-fix releases. Otherwise they will never release it, between the requested features and the found bugs, they have much work in hands to be busy for another significant period of time Wink
Yeah, you're totally right and I totally agree with you!
(2014-08-25, 05:34 PM)jpninside Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-25, 04:02 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Them being minor issues mean they are hardly reproducible, or even if they occur they don't alter the flow of MyBB and the desired results. Like the one in here related to smilies in WYSIWYG editor :

Yeah, you're totally right and I totally agree with you!

The question is, did you accidentally quote the wrong person or is there another bug with quoting?  
(2014-08-25, 06:34 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]The question is, did you accidentally quote the wrong person or is there another bug with quoting?  

I tagged wrong person. I will now change tag!
1.8 is already too delayed...
Sept. 1.
(2014-08-26, 03:49 PM)Andrew B. Wrote: [ -> ]Sept. 1.

Hopefully earlier.  As in tonight.  Unless Justin can only work on stuff on the weekend.  

If that's the case, if someone tells me where to add the attribution I will do it myself.  :p  
Pages: 1 2