MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Optimize Avatars?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Google insight says that I need to optimize avatars!!!!!!! How can i do it? Is there a script or something that will onptimize multiple images at once?

Can someone improve avatar creating JS?
If your site has Google Page Speed Mod installed it should do this automatically. My webhost has it installed so we can use it, but not all hosts do.
One way to make blazing speed is to use Image Sprites - which is probably beyond the reach of MyBB developers given what we've seen so far.
(2014-08-27, 02:48 AM)CloudyBright Wrote: [ -> ]One way to make blazing speed is to use Image Sprites - which is probably beyond the reach of MyBB developers given what we've seen so far.

Image sprites aren't hard nor out of the reach of MyBB developers by any means, as they're included in 1.8's teams in an array of places. Image sprites for avatars isn't viable on any terms.

My only recommendation would be to use Google Pagespeed, but it's really not a big deal. The images are cached, so you're not going to really notice any difference. 
I guess you could have a cronjob that runs every so often and runs all the avatars folder through pngcrush/jpegtran or something. Wouldn't be the best option but could work.
(2014-08-27, 07:43 AM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]I guess you could have a cronjob that runs every so often and runs all the avatars folder through pngcrush/jpegtran or something. Wouldn't be the best option but could work.

Sounds interesting could you please tell me more abut that?