MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My suggestions to make better MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone. Today i want to show you my suggestions to make better MyBB engine. If some of my suggestions was suggested before, sorry for repeat it.
My suggestions:

1. Integrate this plugin into MyBB engine

2. Add group legend, like phpbb3 have, or by this plugin: http://mods.mybb.com/view/view-groups. Admin could turn off the group legends in ACP

3. Add into page "showteam.php" this:
[Image: 2h3be3t.png]
Avatars like view groups plugin have:
[Image: 2zjawia.png]

4. Turn on colors in topic names. Admin could turn off this option in ACP

5. Add "spoiler" mycode into default MyCode

6. Add at bottom of forum information about who was online in last 24 hours. Admin coult turn off this option in ACP

7. Add information on the bottom of the post when post author receive a warn for his post + warn reason.

8. Integrate this plugin into MyBB engine. Admin could turn off this option in ACP

9. Add option to edit default MyBB rules (when you register) in ACP

10. Integrate this plugin into a MyBB engine. Admin coult turn off this option in ACP (like langue select)

11. Add login option with using Facebook account, Google account, twitter account etc. Admin could turn off this option in ACP

12. Add information in the post who give a reputation (negative or positive) for post. Admin could turn off this option in ACP.

13.  Integrate this plugin into MyBB engine. Admin can turn off this option in ACP

14. Integrate this plugin into MyBB engine. Admin could turn off this option in ACP

15. Add a forum statistic in the bottom: when forum starts, how many users total all view forum like this plugin. Admin could turn off this option in ACP

16. Integrate this plugin (+ post delete reason) into MyBB engine. Admin could turn off this option in ACP

Edit #1:

17. Add a RGB color picker table into MyCode when selecting a color, just option "Get custom color", then open RGB color picker table. Admin can turn off this option in ACP. Something like this, but smaller:
[Image: 29z4g9y.png]

18. Add after topic name information about how many post's unreaded, something like this: My Topic name (4 unreaded posts, 3 unreaded edited posts). Admin can turn off this in ACP
Preview:
[Image: 2rdjhhc.png]
Admin can set the number of characters needed to view information about unread edited posts. He can also turn off some forums from this option

19. Make a "table generator" code into default mybb mycode. It can be something like this: Preview
The tables are always useful

I suggested these things that I think are a priority to make better MyBB. I know, MyBB is not social software, but the forum software, so i do not want to add the shoutbox, steam, skype profiles etc. , but only this will make suggestions what better MyBB engine

When i will get new suggestions, I will edit the first post.

(Sorry for my english)
Keep in mind these are just my personal opinion.

1. I disagree with. It can add significant load if many users are using a custom style username.
2. I wouldn't mind this.
3. Easy enough so yeah I wouldn't mind.
4. I disagree with this because while it may be fine for smaller forums, mid to large size forums it can cause problems due to database size.
5. I agree with this.
6. I agree with this.
7. Yes provided it is only visible to the warned user and those who can issue warnings.
8. I disagree with this.
9. This can already be done by editing the language files.
10. I agree with. Potentially could also have it so you can put &themeid=x in the url where x is the id of the theme.
11. Facebook yes, not so sure about the others.
12. Disagree. Posts should be clean. If a person wants to look up a person's reputation, they can view the profile and click the link.
13. I don't think this is needed.
14. Would be better as a plugin because it can be server intensive.
15. Most users wouldn't care about this so I disagree.
16. Only if Soft Delete is going to still be a feature.
Thank you for your response.
1. We can warn Admins, if this option is ON, it can add a significant load.
4. Up
8. Why? Admin can turn off this option in ACP, and user can select to show what group rangs he have.
11. Google account have many people like facebook.
12. It's just a cosmetic addition. User's dont have to go profile and search in reputation. Admin ofc can turn off this option in ACP, so i think it's not problem.
13. Maybe not, but when one user just create a topic with name "My suggestions", he can add a description of his main suggestions. Admin can turn off this option in ACP, and select max. characters to description.
14. Maybe you're right, but Admin still can turn off this option in ACP, and warn him, if this option is ON, it can make server more intensive
15. Maybe, but it's just forum statistic, like how many users account we have. Admin can just turn off this option in ACP

Edit: Added 17, 18 and 19 point.
#3 in addition to this I wouldn't mind seeing an option in the group edit page to give a different image to group leaders (and list leaders first - possibly with a different background colour).
#11 I think all should be plugins really. The buttons make the header look tacky. If this is introduced I would like to see all three on the registration page with the ability to link more accounts or disconnect in the User CP. Only the standard register link should be in the header.
#12 I wouldn't mind seeing a link next to the reputation count that allows you to see the reputations given for the post in a modal window (or similar).
#15 I dislike any stats additions to the index - they increase load times and are unnecessary.

For the others I agree with dragonexpert.
Quote:8. Why? Admin can turn off this option in ACP, and user can select to show what group rangs he have.

An issue though could be if you want someone to be "hidden staff", so they wouldn't have a special display. A good practice is to have a hidden admin account that is in the Admin group with full ACP access. The user also should not be uid1, but rather a random one so it cannot easily be guessed. It would need to not have its images be shown.

You can also argue there can be a setting for x. The issue is we can't just keep adding more and more settings. That is going to cause longer load times due to larger caches.
(2014-08-27, 05:36 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]You can also argue there can be a setting for x.  The issue is we can't just keep adding more and more settings.  That is going to cause longer load times due to larger caches.

It's also yet another feature which someone has to maintain. Once it's added, it'll be a pain to remove later on, due to having to maintain backwards compatibility. The ones which alter templates in particular increase the chances of some template breaking upon an upgrade especially, when you consider that it's an edge case.