MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: copying a forum to a new server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I'm a complete n00b with all this so I kindly ask for your help. I have a forum running on a commercial server for a while. Since I'm still learning everything about mybb and would like to know enough to make some minor tweaks with functions and look of the forum, I would like to have a copy of a forum on a free hosting and free domain so I could 'play' a little bit without a risk of ruining the original forum. 

What I would like to know is how to make a copy of a forum to a new server? If there's anybody who is willing to give me step by step instructions I would be very thankful!

I tried to copy public_html content from one server to another but it seems this isn't working. 

Please help. Thank you very much!
see guidance available here => moving web host

basically you need copy of files & database.
change database connecting details in ./inc/config.php file
change board url & cookie settings in ./inc/settings.php file

Edit:
you can also use local web server in your computer (eg. xampp / wamp)
thanks that helped a lot!
(2014-08-28, 01:03 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]see guidance available here => moving web host

basically you need copy of files & database.
change database connecting details in ./inc/config.php file
change board url & cookie settings in ./inc/settings.php file

Edit:
you can also use local web server in your computer (eg. xampp / wamp)

ok I managed to do everything. I migrated the files to localhost via xampp. uploaded the database. changed settings in config.php and settings.php

I can access the forum on localhost now, but I cant login as an administrator. when I type in my admin user and pass I get the notification that I successfully logged in, but on the next screen I get home page and I'm not logged in. I tried to log in several times but it doesn't work. 

what could cause this? 

thanks
You've probably specified a wrong cookie domain (localhost is no domain, you have to leave it empty).
See also: http://community.mybb.com/thread-126359.html
yes! that was the problem. thank you very much! Rolleyes