MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stop upgrading to new versions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm going say nothing no more 'cos useless saying the same thing over and over again I'm not talking about 1 particular person of course inexperience will use this and those people are not capable like some here to mod up the plugins for them this will be an headache.

I'm not against change I'm just saying if it's not broken don't try to fix it 'cos eventually you'll end up breaking it.
(2014-09-05, 08:13 AM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]Has anybody who's complaining actually tried to upgrade their plugins or themes yet?

I've barely been involved in 1.8, I don't even know everything it can do now, but I upgraded about 15 plugins in an afternoon, including having to make changes for some of them to work, and including my overly long-winded time-consuming OCD approach to pushing out releases. 15 in an afternoon. That says that a) they didn't need many updates to work and b) the changes they did need were simple.

Themes aren't too dissimilar. We've actually made it easier because the postbit buttons are CSS now, not images. You have less to do to make a theme for 1.8, it should be easier to make themes now. The templates are pretty much the same, all you need to do is make sure the new templates, HTML and CSS rules are included in your themes. And hey, think back to the 1.2 to 1.4 upgrade; that was a bigger upgrade than this by a mile, for both plugins and themes. People managed.

People have known the theme was going to be changing, for, what, 2 years? Probably more. The code has been on github for, what, a year? People need to be told to upgrade their plugins and themes before the release? What? My plugins were on the Mods site, fully ready to go for 1.8, days before it was released. I didn't need to be told to upgrade my plugins before the release, I downloaded the beta and made them work for when 1.8 was released. It's not difficult. It's no different to when Apple release a new version of iOS, some people download the beta and have their apps ready for release day, and some don't, but those that do don't get a reminder from Apple saying "oh hey yeah update your apps plz" and you don't hear people saying "oh but Apple didn't tell me to update it before the release herpderp".

Personally, I think these issues come down to inexperience. If you were capable of writing your plugin or theme for 1.6, you'll be capable of updating it for 1.8, and if not, you wouldn't have been capable of creating it in the first place, and I think that's the issue here. Please don't start saying that the hundreds of man hours that people have put into this software has been a 'mistake' because of something like this.

I can't agree more with you.
(2014-09-05, 08:39 AM)sadaruwan12 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not against change I'm just saying if it's not broken don't try to fix it 'cos eventually you'll end up breaking it.

I really don't understand what's your problem... We didn't end up breaking 1.6.x, you are still free to use it. Noone forces you to upgrade to 1.8, which is another major version and requires theme/plugin changes. I thought this is obvious but apparently not for everyone...

It's like you were saying that Microsoft broke Windows 7 by releasing Windows 8 just because some apps are incompatible for the latter... Which makes no sense at all.
What I don't get is people moan because there are no new major versions released and then when they're released people moan because certain plugins aren't available for 1.8. As previously stated no one is forcing you to upgrade to 1.8, so if you upgrade you know that all the plugins and themes that you could get for 1.6 won't be o 1.8. So if it bothers you that much WAIT until the plugins you need are on 1.8
Pages: 1 2 3 4