MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I Upgrade from 1.6.15. too 1.8.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I Upgrade from 1.6.15. too 1.8.0
are there any changed files I can download?
As per the updrade guide, you should 1) disable all plugins on your forum and make a full file and database backup. Once that is complete, simply download MyBB 1.8 and upload the contents of the upload folder to your forum root (overwriting already existing files. ) Delete the "lock" file in your /install directory and go to http://example.com/install, and the upgrade wizard will automatically take care of the rest.
But what about old files of 1.6 that version 1.8 doesnt overwrite?

Can you list those so I can delete them?
The official upgrade guide mentions nothing about deleting old files, and it won't break your forum if you don't remove unneeded 1.6.x files. If you want to start off clean, you could always run the upgrade as described in the upgrade directions, then delete all files and upload a fresh copy of MyBB and connect it to the same database (via inc/config.php). Obviously, be sure to make a full backup before attempting something of that sort.
no no no n no, that can't be done how will i keep my theme
(2014-09-03, 07:40 PM)Jabberwock Wrote: [ -> ]no no no n no, that can't be done how will i keep my theme

You will lose your theme anyway with the upgrade to 1.8 as 1.6 themes aren't compatible with 1.8. (You can install them, but they are very buggy and are generally a mess. )

If you need to save the themes, you can always export them from the admin CP and download their image folders from the /images directory.
Your theme will need several changes to it anyway so won't be compatible straight away, but it won't be completely gone.
When I upgrade to 1.8 all of the text is centred?