MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The WYSIWYG Editor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I do love the WYSIWYG editor within 1.8 - it's so simple yet works so flawlessly... however, on my attempt to upgrade from 1.6 to 1.8, there isn't a WYSIWYG editor on the public side of the forum. It's just a blank white box with no tools or anything.

I am aware that this is a problem specifically with the theme I am using, as reverting to MyBB's default theme allows the editor to be visible again. However everything else in the theme in functioning flawlessly and it would be a shame to waste the effort.

What code or changes must I add/make to allow the editor to work on the theme that it isn't working on? The WYSIWYG editor doesn't work anywhere, including post creation, editing of signature, etc.

Thanks!
have you updated the theme templates after upgrading MyBB .. can we have your forum url
(2014-09-05, 12:25 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]have you updated the theme templates after upgrading MyBB .. can we have your forum url

I don't understand how to use that tool, and the description of it on the blog isn't the best written one I've seen. My URL is lewis-kelly.co.uk/web.
Having same problem..I am using 1point8 theme and no WYSIWYG editor on public side...

please check- http://www.dealsfinderindia.com/community/index.php
Had the same problem. I installed CKEditor as a quick fix until I have more time to update the templates. If someone could point me in the right direction as to which template file I have to update, that would be a huge help!
I reverted headerinclude but that did not fix my problems with the code editor nor with the smilies. I'd rather not revert all updated templates as we are planning to go through each one thoroughly and edit them carefully. So if someone could point me in the direction of which template to revert to get code editor and smilies working again, I would be very grateful.
I reverted all updated templates which fixed the issues I was having with the report function.

The code editor is still not working, nor is quick edit, nor are smilies. Any suggestions?
(2014-10-16, 09:26 AM)amanda2014 Wrote: [ -> ]I reverted all updated templates which fixed the issues I was having with the report function.

The code editor is still not working, nor is quick edit, nor are smilies. Any suggestions?

Has anyone figured out the answer to Amanda's question?

I am having the same issue. I just upgraded from 1.6 to 1.8, and there are places in the forum that are broken.  One of them is that the WYSIWYG editor box does not appear:

[attachment=33444]

Just to cover the bases: "Put the editor in source mode by default" is NOT checked/ticked in my UCP.

I tried to install CKEditor plugin for 1.8, thinking that would override and correct any issues that were left hanging from the 1.6 to 1.8 upgrade.  The plugin installed just fine, but no editor appears.

I even compared the older version ("1600") newreply template with the latest "1800" version that was just updated during the 1.6 to 1.8 upgrade, and there doesn't seem to be any significant changes within the template, so I'm thinking there is another issue happening outside of the templates.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get WYSIWYG working on 1.8?

Amanda, did you solve the issue?

Thanks 

Ok, I figure it out on my own... So I'm going to post my findings here with the hopes that I save someone HOURS of exploration that I've endured.

This solution is going to help you IF you are migrating from 1.6.x to 1.8.x.  Apparently the MyBB upgrade script drops the ball in many places, particularly if you have your own templates!  If you have the chance, It is recommended that you install one point release on top of another point release until you've installed the latest/last 1.8.x version.  Jumping versions from 1.6 to 1.8 within the upgrade installer is not recommended, even though it's a readily available option! 

So if you do have your own custom templates, and you are experiencing WYSIWYG issues where no rich editor comes up where HTML text areas are, then please try this:

1. It is very likely that the upgrade process did not touch older key templates, while selectively updating others. You will need a set of templates from 1.8.x that have never been modified. So your best bet is to install 1.8 on its own, pointing to a different database.  Be sure to install 1.8 as a standalone version, and do not choose to upgrade anything. We are looking only for the default template contents, so upgrading is no use to us. The installation will only take a few minutes, including setting up a new database and user, but you need to do this in order to get the proper 1.8 template files.

2. Find "ungrouped templates" from the template menu in the Admin Control Panel (ACP).  Inspect the contents of "headerinclude".  If your template has this in the first few lines, then you know your template is outdated:

<script type="text/javascript" src="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/jscripts/prototype.js?ver=1400"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/jscripts/general.js?ver=1400"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/jscripts/popup_menu.js?ver=1400"></script>
(You want to make sure you are replacing your crusty template with the 1.8.x headerinclude template that says "?ver=1800" within it.)

3. Do the same for the "ungrouped template" called "codebuttons", as the 1.8 version contains updated Javascript libraries that execute and look for HTML textareas to latch onto, giving you a rich editor interface.

Make sure you also go into your settings and verify that you enabled wysiwyg editing, instead of source editing only. If you go make a new reply, you should now see the SCEditor that comes with 1.8.x.  This will also make your Smilies Inserter work, as well.

As a side note, please go and replace the "User Control Panel Template", "usercp_profile", as there is an error in the birthday field where it does not allow users to modify and save their profiles.  If you copy in the 1.8.x version over the old one, it works again.

In fact, whatever you encounter that seems broken from the 1.6 to 1.8 upgrade, go and compare your unedited 1.8 templates to the 1.6 versions you have.  If there are differences, copy off the old template for safety, and replace it with the 1.8 version.  In most cases of doing this with my outdated templates, I found that the system began behaving as expected.

So unlike my thoughts above, everything IS specifically related to the templates, especially if the upgrade process did not touch/update some of your key template files from 1.6.  I hope this can help someone get on the right track who is having problems with their 1.8 upgrade.

Good luck!
Steve