MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MYBB CDN?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have no idea what CDN is, the only thing I know is that it improves website performance and Google suggests it. How can I setup MYBB to work with it?
CDN stands for content delivery network. It basically takes certain parts of your site (javascript, images) and distributes them onto different servers around the world. In theory this should make your site load faster for users. CDNs do not always speed up a site though.

Setup depends on the CDN service you buy. IMO your forum seems pretty fast. Smile
(2014-09-09, 07:12 PM)marcus123 Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea what CDN is, the only thing I know is that it improves website performance and Google suggests it. How can I setup MYBB to work with it?

are you using mybb 1.6 or 1.8? 

if you're using 1.6, you can use this guide: http://community.mybb.com/thread-94678.html

I haven't personally messed with the cdn options in 1.8 yet.  maybe Euan can lend a hand with 1.8 since I believe he coded that.
I can help. On you know the details of the CDN (hopefully a "pull" type CDN as "push" type ones are not currently supported), it's a very trivial setting to change in the ACP. The system also allows the offloading of content to a sub domain.

In fact, I should really write a tutorial on how to use it properly...
(2014-09-09, 07:12 PM)marcus123 Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea what CDN is, the only thing I know is that it improves website performance and Google suggests it. How can I setup MYBB to work with it?

if you want free cdn like functionality
check my tutorial
http://community.mybb.com/thread-158864-...pid1100104
(2014-09-09, 09:12 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I can help. On you know the details of the CDN (hopefully a "pull" type CDN as "push" type ones are not currently supported), it's a very trivial setting to change in the ACP. The system also allows the offloading of content to a sub domain.

this would be wonderful since I had some questions with how to use it for a BBO with multiple pull zones.
Guys you are awesome thanks a lot. I am struggling with one hosting account lets alone 2 Smile What if CDN goes down will my site show correctly?

Heaving a website depending on more that one source is bad in my mind.
(2014-09-10, 12:05 PM)marcus123 Wrote: [ -> ]What if CDN goes down will my site show correctly?
No, no images/CSS/JS/etc will load

(2014-09-10, 12:05 PM)marcus123 Wrote: [ -> ]Heaving a website depending on more that one source is bad in my mind.
Which is why it offers no real benefit to small sites.
(2014-09-09, 10:40 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-09, 09:12 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I can help. On you know the details of the CDN (hopefully a "pull" type CDN as "push" type ones are not currently supported), it's a very trivial setting to change in the ACP. The system also allows the offloading of content to a sub domain.

this would be wonderful since I had some questions with how to use it for a BBO with multiple pull zones.

Multiple pull zones might be an interesting one, but hopefully once I write the guide it'll become clear how the system is intended to be used.
(2014-09-10, 07:26 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-09, 10:40 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]

Multiple pull zones might be an interesting one, but hopefully once I write the guide it'll become clear how the system is intended to be used.

I look forward to your guide. 

Cool