MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I've found a way to upgrade all plugins!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

It's been a great issue for every one with the new versionof mybb.

Specially when it comes to mods or plugins. No one can bear any single mod/plugin not working in his forum for even a sec. As plugins add more extra features to your forum website.

So what did. I found a way to upgrade all plugins from mybb 1.6 to 1.8 with out the help of the author who made that plugin.

Want to know how?

I've added them all in my course already at Udemy.com "MyBB Development Series".

You can find them too at my forum:
http://uolbscs.com

But i'll recommend you to join my course so that you can learn other mybb development too Smile
Let me take a guess, changing the compatibility line?
If it is changing the compatibility line, not all of the plugin will work, it will throw errors in certain situations, some will be okay, but big plugins you will face issues with.
From the looks of it, you've tested six plugins on your website, two of which are already available as a part of MyBB 1.6? You can't really guarantee that "all plugins" can be ported with the compatibility line fix when only six plugins have been tested. While the MyBB team has done a good job of not unnecessarily breaking compatibility with existing plugins, there are a number of other things that should be noted regarding plugin compatibility.
  • MyBB 1.8 uses jquery instead of prototype. Any plugin that uses prototype for javascript or ajax of any kind will not work under 1.8 without additional changes. Shoutbox plugins are a big part of this category.
  • MyBB 1.8 includes many new and heavily modified templates. Template modifications may not work the same way under 1.8 as they worked under 1.6. For example, the header modifications may need to be modified due to a redesigned header, etc.
  • MyBB 1.8 adds features such as default avatar functionality, and other features have been added or changed as well. Plugins may need to be modified to make use of some of these changes to be fully integrated with 1.8.
  • MyBB has added setting types for usergroup select boxes and forum select boxes. While it isn't required to convert these, it certainly makes plugins much more user friendly.

The compatibility line fix is an easy fix for simple plugins, but it is no guarantee that the plugin will necessarily work properly under 1.8.
Yeah, I have just tested six out of them Because these are all i needed.

I can check some more.

Till now all the plugins are working okay by just changing one line of code. May be they can give error at some point. But they are working well for now Smile
You're missing the difference between the Admin CP plugins list allowing you to install it, and it actually being compatible with working with 1.8. All the compatibility line does is tell the plugins list whether to show the activate/install links or not.
Even if it works, is it actually safe? Does it make the forum vulnerable to attack?
The compatibility statement is put there by the plugin author to let MyBB know if the plugin was meant for that MyBB version. By changing that line you are not changing actual compatibility. What you are doing is tricking MyBB into accepting the plugin as written for the installed MyBB version. The fact that MyBB doesn't refuse to install means nothing. The determination comes with whether the plugin actually works. And there are plugins that will work. But some not. And some will only be partially functioning as some of us found out with Page Manager.
Is there any link that list plugins that are compatible with 1.8?
(2014-10-26, 06:18 AM)Andrew B. Wrote: [ -> ]The compatibility statement is put there by the plugin author to let MyBB know if the plugin was meant for that MyBB version. By changing that line you are not changing actual compatibility. What you are doing is tricking MyBB into accepting the plugin as written for the installed MyBB version.  The fact that MyBB doesn't refuse to install means nothing. The determination comes with whether the plugin actually works.  And there are plugins that will work. But some not.  And some will only be partially functioning as some of us found out with Page Manager.

Could you link me to a thread about Page Manager's compatibility with 1.8? I haven't noticed any issues so far, but am interested in hearing others' experiences with using Page Manager with 1.8.
Pages: 1 2