MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Apostrophe in User Name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There appears to be a bug when users use an apostrophe in their username. They can register fine but cannot log in. I confirmed this using MyBB 1.8 and the default theme. I registered with an account "spork'985" and tried numerous times to log in. I then went to the mybb_users table and removed the apostrophe, making the username "spork985" and was able to log in perfectly.
Hi,

Thank you for your report. We have pushed this issue to our Github repository for further analysis where you can track our commits and progress with fixing this bug. Discussions regarding this bug may also take place there too.

Follow this link to visit the issue on Github: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/1417

Thanks for contributing to MyBB!

Regards,
The MyBB Group
Thank you for confirming and addressing this so quickly.
I think this bug must have been solved, because I have a t'estuser and can login no problem, but the username gets truncated in a quoted reply to "t" instead of "t'estuser" - see the 2nd reply in the screen grab.

Perhaps it is just me being a newbie, but is there a way to disallow certain characters when someone registers?

[Image: apostrophe.jpg]
^ @Maxim380: you can try using Strict Username plugin
Thank you, will try that.