MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Content Private but Snippet Preview for search engines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How can you make the full content in the forum private to only paid registered members but make a snippet preview of the content available to search engines?Please someone tell me how to do that,i'l appreciate it.
It is bad practice to serve different content to search engines than real users, but if you really insist on doing it, the easiest way is by checking the user agent. There are sites that list the user agents of all kinds of search bots.
You'd have to make some kind of plugin that detected search engine user agents, and outputted a snippet instead of the full post, which you'd only output to users with sufficient priviledges.

From an SEO standpoint, i though google didn't like that?
(2014-09-14, 09:10 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]From an SEO standpoint, i though google didn't like that?

Correct, google has been known to ban those who give different content than what the user sees.
Search engines are treated as guests, so if you make the snippets available to guests then the engines will be able to see it (and also not ding you for the horrible practice of showing different content to engines than to people).

Granted if I ended up on a site like that via search engine I'd close the tab as soon as I realized there was a paywall.