MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: create empty forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Three or four people told you why you got this error and yet you don't understand.

The thread should not be inside your redirect forum under any circumstance. Create the thread in a different forum, leave the redirect forum empty and then in its options add the link to your thread.

EDIT: and the linked forum may have used a bug to create it (we don't support that) or they have removed the check for that error from the script (also not recommended).
(2014-09-15, 04:36 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Three or four people told you why you got this error and yet you don't understand.

The thread should not be inside your redirect forum under any circumstance. Create the thread in a different forum, leave the redirect forum empty and then in its options add the link to your thread.

Somehow VAHuntingForum managed to get the redirect to work without posting the thread in a different forum.  If you look at their thread, it is located under the redirect forum still.  

http://www.vahuntingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=2

He is trying to get the same thing to happen so posting it under a different forum and redirecting to that isn't quite what he is after.  I went and searched through VAHuntingForum's posts and didn't see any where he received help to get that effect.  

So what he is asking is how VAHuntingForum bypassed that "posts in forum already" check.  
Well, my guess is that they first created the redirect forum (so no threads inside it) and then moved the thread (created in another forum) there somehow. But as I said in the EDIT above, the error is there most likely for a reason and doing that may not be a good option.
Hey, Yes I am.

OK, thank you very much for everyone's help!! I really needed to figure it out. I wish I knew how it was done. Maybe there version is older then this one.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HolyPhoenix this is exactly what I was trying to get. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! You totally understand. Hey everyone thank you very much for your help and patients in this trip I was on.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you "Destroy666"

(2014-09-15, 04:36 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Three or four people told you why you got this error and yet you don't understand.

EDIT: and the linked forum may have used a bug to create it (we don't support that) or they have removed the check for that error from the script (also not recommended).

(2014-09-15, 04:56 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, my guess is that they first created the redirect forum (so no threads inside it) and then moved the thread (created in another forum) there somehow. But as I said in the EDIT above, the error is there most likely for a reason and doing that may not be a good option.

Yeah, it is to keep people from redirecting a forum somewhere else when it has threads in it.  The error makes a lot of sense.  But in this case they needed a work-around.  Their use of the redirect make sense and there should be no problems using it this way since it will be the only thread in the redirect forum.  

It sounds like you came up with the solution to work around the issue.  Could you mark this as solved 4evrfit if Destroy666 got you around it?   
(2014-09-15, 05:31 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, it is to keep people from redirecting a forum somewhere else when it has threads in it.

This may be not the only reason (didn't check the whole code for redirect forums so no idea), otherwise a yes/no confirmation like "Are you sure that you want to convert this forum into a redirect? There are still threads inside it." would be more appropriate than an error.
(2014-09-15, 06:00 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]This may be not the only reason (didn't check the whole code for redirect forums so no idea), otherwise a yes/no confirmation like "Are you sure that you want to convert this forum into a redirect? There are still threads inside it." would be more appropriate than an error.

Good point.  I think that would be a great change to the core (if I am right about its purpose).  I can't think of another reason why that would be blocked.    

I would probably change the text slightly to "Are you sure that you want to convert this forum into a redirect? You will no longer be able to access threads inside it."
Pages: 1 2