MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Survival Kits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A survival kit is a variety of tools and accessories which can be used to keep you alive in a survival situation. Being prepared is very important as well however many people have it running through there mind that nothing could ever possibly happen. So tell me is Tornadoes, Hurricanes and other natural disasters not possible? because I clearly see it happen every year. So does that also mean that wars and invasions cannot happen? I see wars going on all the time and trust me it is as simple as 1 little string to get pulled to cause WW3 which could lead to land invasions on your homeland and country. If we know it can happen, and we know how things have been going down hill lately don't you think it would be a good idea to prepare and gather some skills for surviving not only in suburban and city areas but in wooded areas as well because you never know you may have to make a run for the woods. 

I think its important and that is why I been building a survival kit and since my state is more of a wooded/forest area I am building up a kit for wilderness survival. You can easily build a kit for about $150 - $200 that can pull you through just never buy a pre-packaged survival kit because they are usually full of junk. 

My survival kit which is still being tweaked and added on-to has the following content:

- Schrade SCHF9-N Full Tang Survival Knife $45 || (Very good, takes a beating and will last a long long time)
- Bear Grylls Compact Parang $23 || (Alright but don't trust it with your life)
- Cold Steel Pendleton Lite Hunter $20 || (Good for small tasks and fine tasks will last a long time)
- Set of 3 throwing knives || (I bought them for the purpose of using them as a spear)

- Small fishing kit, hooks, sinkers, line
- 150 ft Nylon string || (Good for lashing stuff together and using to make shelters and other things)
- 100 ft of string || (Unknown type but could be useful)
- Compass and Thermometer key chain
- 6' by 8' brown tarp
- Coleman Mess Kit + Extra aluminum pan
- First aid kit
- Nails, hooks, Razors, 
- Zip lock bag of Dryer lint || (Good for Tinder)
- Ferro Rod and striker || (Because fire is important)
- Bear Grylls Basic Survival Kit || (For the hell of it)
- Small grill rack for cooking
- Smiths Edge Pro Sharpener
- 50 ft of thin copper wire
- Electrical tape 

I am sure I missed some things in my kit as well, Also be sure if you get into making a survival kit grab PARACORD I forgot to get some but will be very soon.

I will be expanding my kit because there is some important things it needs, I set it on a normal step on scale and one time it showed 10 pounds but 3 other times it showed around 8 pounds and that seems about right so its not that heavy considering big preppers with good money get 30-50 pound survival kits. 

Depending on where you live I would also suggest grabbing a book that shows wild edibles in your areas because the last thing you want to do is eat something with poison. 
What's this?
I was about to poof it for spam but then I realized it wasn't.
(2014-09-16, 09:01 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]I was about to poof it for spam but then I realized it wasn't.

Oh man now that's mean Sad 

No its not spam its real 

(2014-09-16, 09:00 PM)Kaeden Wrote: [ -> ]What's this?

A survival kit thread 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_kit

You can read up on Wiki there it will help you understand a little bit better but this is more of like a "Bug Out Bag" or "SHTF Bag" or you can consider it a long term survival kit. 
I'm not sure if this fits the forum at all, but however, each to its own.
Some may find it interesting.

We were all wondering if this is spam or not.
(2014-09-16, 09:11 PM)Kaeden Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if this fits the forum at all, but however, each to its own.
Some may find it interesting.

We were all wondering if this is spam or not.

Well this is General Discussion "General discussions that aren't about MyBB. " 

so that is why I posted it here. 
What are you trying to survive and for how long? Are you going to be by yourself?

Do you know how to use your basic first aid kit?
- I suggest you look into a larger kit like a military surplus platoon kit
Do you know how to handle major medical issues?
- There are inexpensive Army Field Guides in paperback that cover field medical aid
Do you know how to create shelter, what plants are edible, how to test is plants are edible, how to filter water?
- There are inexpensive Army Field Guides in paperback that cover these topics
Do you have a way to purify or at least filter water?
- Iodine tabs are okay for super emergency (water tastes terrible), but you need a filter with spare cartridges, or better yet, learn how to build a still or a sand filter
Do you know how to cultivate a garden or raise animals?
- Store seeds, get an almanac, understand simple farming
Can you trap?
- The Army Field Guide on survival shows you that

My bug out bag includes:

backpack
KBar knife
Magnesium striker/starter
backpacking stove (burns kerosene, gas, jet fuel, white gas, etc)
Water filter
basic first aid kit
tent
tarp
compass
GPS and batteries
plastic bags
cookwear, etc
sewing kit
duct tape
paracord
emergency blankets
fire starter material
can opener
flashlight
long life candles and a wind proof case
ponchos
split rings
small fishing kit
small hatchet
backpacking lantern and filaments
toilet paper
bug spray and sunscreen
chapstick (works as fire starter also)
gloves
basic repelling gear (figure 8, carabiners, nylon strap designed for make shift harness)
200 ft dynamic rope
small binoculars

Next to my bag are sleeping bags, water containers (to fill before water can get contaminated or to fill at location), boots, etc.

Then there are the rifles, shotgun, handguns, ammo, reloading supplies, binoculars, cleaning kits.
(2014-09-16, 10:24 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]What are you trying to survive and for how long? Are you going to be by yourself?

Do you know how to use your basic first aid kit?
- I suggest you look into a larger kit like a military surplus platoon kit
Do you know how to handle major medical issues?
- There are inexpensive Army Field Guides in paperback that cover field medical aid
Do you know how to create shelter, what plants are edible, how to test is plants are edible, how to filter water?
- There are inexpensive Army Field Guides in paperback that cover these topics
Do you have a way to purify or at least filter water?
- Iodine tabs are okay for super emergency (water tastes terrible), but you need a filter with spare cartridges, or better yet, learn how to build a still or a sand filter
Do you know how to cultivate a garden or raise animals?
- Store seeds, get an almanac, understand simple farming
Can you trap?
- The Army Field Guide on survival shows you that

My bug out bag includes:

backpack
KBar knife
Magnesium striker/starter
backpacking stove (burns kerosene, gas, jet fuel, white gas, etc)
Water filter
basic first aid kit
tent
tarp
compass
GPS and batteries
plastic bags
cookwear, etc
sewing kit
duct tape
paracord
emergency blankets
fire starter material
can opener
flashlight
long life candles and a wind proof case
ponchos
split rings
small fishing kit
small hatchet
backpacking lantern and filaments
toilet paper
bug spray and sunscreen
chapstick (works as fire starter also)
gloves
basic repelling gear (figure 8, carabiners, nylon strap designed for make shift harness)
200 ft dynamic rope
small binoculars

Next to my bag are sleeping bags, water containers (to fill before water can get contaminated or to fill at location), boots, etc.

Then there are the rifles, shotgun, handguns, ammo, reloading supplies, binoculars, cleaning kits.

I know what I need to know to survive, My kit is still in the making though however your kit has a few flaws just like mine. 

If you are going to have equipment that requires power don't you think finding USB powered devices would be best and then purchase a USB compact folding solar panel so you can keep the stuff charged IF you can find enough sunlight. 

And I am planning to start going into actual self-training and putting myself in survival situations to test myself. 
Yes solar panels are nice, but in the mean time i can scavenge as I will be better armed and prepared than many.

I can fabricate my own power sources once long term shelter is ready. I'm an engineer and fabricator. But yes, if I always have to be on the move then solar panels would be a good addition.
(2014-09-17, 01:01 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]Yes solar panels are nice, but in the mean time i can scavenge as I will be better armed and prepared than many.

I can fabricate my own power sources once long term shelter is ready. I'm an engineer and fabricator. But yes, if I always have to be on the move then solar panels would be a good addition.

Good

I live in the Appalachian mountains. I actually plan on going off-grid and purchasing a Derksen pre-built cabin and setting it up for solar/wind power and also creating a engine generator. I personally have had enough of the drama in towns, cities, and I would rather live a self sustainable life. 

And I have firearms but I will not rely on a firearm if I knew I had to go to the woods and I had the option to get a high quality rifle or pistol or a high quality long lasting knife I would choose the knife because a knife lasts longer then ammo. 
Pages: 1 2