MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Theme problems: Dead Links for Smilies and Icons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I updated from 1.6.8 to 1.8, and it was a mess...

After I reloaded the old DB, deleted all files, uploaded 1.8 (de), added the old "/inc/settings.php" file, re-installed the upgrade, reset all templates and other stuff, I at least had a useable forum. Although I lost all adaptions and plugins.

I can live with that. But even after resetting templates, there are dead links to icons and smilies. As far as I can see, the smilies and icons are all linkes as ".gif" - whereas the folder contain ".png". I manually changed all the endings, but I suggest that can be improved in the upgrade function so the next users don't have to cope with that.

Edit: Also, all smilies are set to "order: 0", so I have to manually sort the smilies now... I can start with 10 (1-9 seems to be reserved...?)
(2014-09-17, 10:56 AM)novamax Wrote: [ -> ]I can live with that. But even after resetting templates, there are dead links to icons and smilies. As far as I can see, the smilies and icons are all linkes as ".gif" - whereas the folder contain ".png". I manually changed all the endings, but I suggest that can be improved in the upgrade function so the next users don't have to cope with that.
The upgrade script doesn't touch the images as keeping the old gif smilies and post icons is perfectly fine. As long as you don't delete them (which is not recommended anywhere) they'll be still there.
I read in some Doc (can't find it at the moment) that you should upload all files except settings.php - So I figured that an upgrade only uses that file. Appearently, I was wrong.

However, I think it would make sense to use and link the current files rather than collecting outdated and current ones (and use the old ones). If this is considered a feature instead of a bug, then I agree the mistake was on my side when I erased all the stuff that is not part of the current version - as a bug-fix to a non-working imported default theme.

Still I would be happy to know: In the original current version, what are the oder numbers for the png-smilies? 1...n or 10...n?

Edit: I found, the order of the old smileys was different, so 1-9 were already included, the others were appearently new and set to "0". And the  My is appearently new and not linked at all. So, I'm fine fore now. Up to you guys what you make out of this info.
I'm finding the smilies dead links also. I did an upgrade from 1.6.13 to 1.8 and did not delete anything like the OP did. Also when I click on the more smilies link I don't get a pop-up window at all. It appears anything javascript related is not working because the "Report" button doesn't do anything either. Any ideas?

Thanks.
@mwforum , your forum theme templates need updating codes
upgrading guidance Wrote:Visit your Admin Control Panel, then go to Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates. This will show you a list of all the templates that have changed during the upgrade.

You can either revert these templates to their default - meaning all the changes you've made to it will be removed - or you can see a Diff Report which will show you exactly what's changed. If you have a custom theme installed, it is probably best that you look at the Diff Report and apply the changes you need.
(2014-09-20, 06:40 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]@mwforum , your forum theme templates need updating codes
[quote="upgrading guidance"]Visit your Admin Control Panel, then go to Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates. This will show you a list of all the templates that have changed during the upgrade.

You can either revert these templates to their default - meaning all the changes you've made to it will be removed - or you can see a Diff Report which will show you exactly what's changed. If you have a custom theme installed, it is probably best that you look at the Diff Report and apply the changes you need.
Not the case for my upgrade from 1.8.1 to 1.8.3. The Find Updated Templates did not work. 

This is a full upgrade instead of the changed files upgrade. Is that the main reason it didn't work?

Now I'll have to redo everything from scratch. Sad
^ @SeeD why not find a good looking new theme compatible with MyBB 1.8.x and use it for your forum
http://community.mybb.com/mods.php?actio...ory=themes