MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Remove password encryption
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I remove the password encryption on MyBB 1.8? I followed the 1.6 series tutorial but it's no good it doesn't let you login once you remove it.
Which password are you talking about? Can you please elaborate?
When a user registers an account the password is stored in the users table in the phpmyadmin database and the password is encrypted how do I remove it where a user registers and the password is stored in plain text.
(2014-09-19, 05:45 PM)Helsing Wrote: [ -> ]When a user registers an account the password is stored in the users table in the phpmyadmin database and the password is encrypted how do I remove it where a user registers and the password is stored in plain text.

that is really a bad idea, this will compromise the data that you have stored as a user I would not be happy about data stored this way.. if you need to reinstate a user password why not use the function in admin cp ?
(2014-09-19, 05:49 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-19, 05:45 PM)Helsing Wrote: [ -> ]When a user registers an account the password is stored in the users table in the phpmyadmin database and the password is encrypted how do I remove it where a user registers and the password is stored in plain text.

that is really a bad idea, this will compromise the data that you have stored as a user I would not be happy about data stored this way.. if you need to reinstate a user password why not use the function in admin cp ?

He is not asking that :s
(2014-09-19, 05:57 PM)Edric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-19, 05:49 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]

He is not asking that :s

so what does this mean ?
Quote:When a user registers an account the password is stored in the users table in the phpmyadmin database and the password is encrypted how do I remove it where a user registers and the password is stored in plain text.
so therefore if the password is stored as plain text it is possible that all user passwords could be read and used do you advocate this ?
Have you also set this up ? ( passwords stored as plain text rather than hashed) if so can you state any security problems you may have and how you have over come these issues ?
I'm closing this because of the legal issues that arise from storing passwords in plain text.

If you need to be able to have the forum work with another software you can either create a thread in Plugin Requests or Third Party Integration.