MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Update to 1.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, 

When I was updating (1.6.12) to 1.8 It was unable..

I am using old backed up forum, and my ACP directory has been changed (the name for security) and if I install all the files on my server I will have the renamed admin folder and "admin" from the new update..

And in config.php my modifciations e.g secret acp pin will be removed when updated because of the over write..

How do I update without it touching any of my previous modifications or files?
rename that changed admin folder as original admin folder and do required edit in the config.php file.
ensure that admin panel is loading and you should be able to login to admin panel & navigate around.
upload MyBB 1.8 files by overwriting earlier version files (do not delete earlier files) and run upgrade.
after successful upgrade you can rename the admin folder to your choice

btw, as a precaution keep backups of database, config.php and settings.php
and deactivate all the plugins before upgrading
(2014-09-23, 04:19 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]rename that changed admin folder as original admin folder and do required edit in the config.php file.
ensure that admin panel is loading and you should be able to login to admin panel & navigate around.
upload MyBB 1.8 files by overwriting earlier version files (do not delete earlier files) and run upgrade.
after successful upgrade you can rename the admin folder to your choice

btw, as a precaution keep backups of database, config.php and settings.php
and deactivate all the plugins before upgrading

Thanks, I did everything you said, and it worked..

But, I can't access the admin control panel, user profiles etc.. It comes up with a blank white page.. But the directories are all right. What now?  Huh
^ can you check server error log to find the cause (if error log exists at the web host control panel)
(2014-09-23, 05:51 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ can you check server error log to find the cause (if error log exists at the web host control panel)

No error logs. Something went wrong via the update..

I ran :
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', '1');

in admin/index.php
and I got an issue with portal:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method pluginSystem::run_hooks_by_ref() in /home/joey/domains/heppit.com/public_html/admin/modules/portal/module_meta.php on line 26

and i also got an error here in member.php when I put the error reporting code:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /home/joey/domains/heppit.com/public_html/global.php(766) : eval()'d code on line 3 Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /home/joey/domains/heppit.com/public_html/member.php(2620) : eval()'d code on line 16 ��Qt�w� pU�(��Qu��tVP���7v��w qQ����Q0�3P)J�+�,���K���w�SRP�())���///�+7��/J� ү�e� e�� ��K)IQ�����y

So I will troubleshoot now and see what I can do, please try come up with a solution with me. I have changed my admin directory to admin-old and now uploading the new 1.8 admin files.
^ your forum has a portal plugin and it is not compatible with MyBB 1.8
at present you can rename ~/admin/modules/portal/module_meta.php file as module_meta.php.old and check
(2014-09-23, 06:05 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ your forum has a portal plugin and it is not compatible with MyBB 1.8
at present you can rename ~/admin/modules/portal/module_meta.php file as module_meta.php.old and check

I did that already, this leads to other errors. e.g. plugin page :
inc/languages/english/admin/ficons.lang.php does not exist
^ there is some misconfiguration and looks like code is corrupted in member related template(s)
such issues need investigation
I guess i'll install a new copy of MyBB and import the theme and database and start fresh. It's really annoying me. Thanks for your support .m.
(2014-09-23, 06:05 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ your forum has a portal plugin and it is not compatible with MyBB 1.8

ok i had the same error and this worked. now what. will i not be able to access the portal?

btw i cant use the default theme. when i select it it looks misaligned etc.